Job Description / Essential Elements:
Santa Rosa City Schools
Under general supervision, to perform a variety of custodial work in District buildings; and to do related work as required.
DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE TO:
• Working from a prepared work schedule, sweeps, scrubs, strips, waxes, and polishes concrete, linoleum, tile, and wood floors and vacuums, spots, and shampoos rugs and carpets in offices, nurse’s and faculty rooms, auditoriums, dining rooms, cafeterias, hallways, ramps, and stairways;
• Washes, cleans and dusts windows, mirrors, railings, walls, furniture, tables, benches, woodwork, hall lockers, and other equipment;
• Erases and cleans chalk boards; vacuums chalk trays and erasers;
• Cleans and polishes metal work such as door panels and hand rails;
• Empties and cleans pencil sharpeners and waste containers;
• Hauls waste to appropriate area;
• Washes, scrubs and disinfects rest rooms and shower rooms;
• Replenishes supplies in offices, workrooms, and rest rooms;
• Replaces light globes; reports damaged buildings, broken equipment, and safety, sanitary, and fire hazards;
• Moves or rearranges desks, chairs, tables, furniture, and other equipment;
• Moves and sets up bleachers;
• Sets up for and covers special events;
• Locks and unlocks doors and gates;
• Operates night lights;
• Checks doors and windows for security;
• Picks up papers and other refuse in buildings and on grounds;
• Sweeps walks, entrances, and adjacent blacktop;
• During school vacation periods, participates in the thorough cleaning and restoration of a school plant;
• May perform routine groundskeeping work, such as raking leaves and watering lawns, shrubs and trees;
• May take money to bank and run errands as required.
Some experience in custodial or janitorial work is preferred.
Knowledge of: modern cleaning methods and the use and care of cleaning materials and equipment; safe work practices.
Ability to: use cleaning materials and equipment with skills and efficiency; perform heavy physical labor; understand and carry out oral and written instructions, work effectively and efficiently without close supervision; establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work; read and write at the level required for successful job performance.
Board Approved: June 24, 1975