Under the direction of the Manager of Purchasing and Risk Management, plan, organize and coordinate the operation of the reprographics department. Setup, operate and maintain photocopiers, duplicators, bindery and related equipment in the volume reproduction of a variety of instructional and other publication materials; schedule and prioritize reproduction work orders and operations and calculate cost of reproduction projects to ensure efficiency and cost containment; assure the timely delivery of quality printed materials; perform minor preventive maintenance tasks and simple repairs on duplicating equipment; maintain related records. Perform related duties as assigned.
Operate digital copier, duplicating and related equipment in the volume reproduction of a variety of materials such as tests, handouts, bulletins, booklets, curricular guides, forms, letterheads and high quality publications; assure the timely delivery of printed materials to the schools, District Office and other school related organizations. E
Receive, schedule and prioritize reproduction work orders and operations; confer with requesting clients to establish requirements, to advise and to schedule work; respond to inquires from clients regarding status of orders, job costs; refer unusual orders or scheduling conflicts to supervisor for resolution. E
Calculate cost of duplicating projects; maintain appropriate financial and project records and forward to the Accounting Department for proper billing of accounts. E
Use a computer and related current software for desktop publishing. E
Assist in the layout, format and design of various materials to be produced, such as forms, pamphlets, instructional guides, flyers, business cards, letterhead, posted, etc. E
Monitor photocopy operations by programming, operating, adjusting and maintaining a photocopy machine; perform various copy preparation tasks. E
Perform minor adjustments to photocopiers and related equipment to assure proper operation and maximum performance; perform minor repairs to duplicating equipment, photocopiers and related equipment, maintaining it in good working order. E
Perform complex printer execution programming for digital reproduction systems according to specific job requirements. E
Notify appropriate individuals or contracted services for needed maintenance and repairs in case of emergencies or breakdown. E
Operate a variety of equipment associated with duplicating work, such as: jogger, paper cutter, collator, stitcher, wrapping and folding machines. E
Provide information and assistance to clients on layout, paper type, color and other preparation of copy for duplication as required. E
Collate, sort, staple, stitch, drill, pad, fold, trim, bind, wrap, and box reproduced materials. E
Order stock supplies from the warehouse and order non-stock equipment, supplies and paper from vendors as needed; maintain proper inventory of duplicating supplies. E
Maintain records of time and material use on reproduction orders; arrange for equipment repairs. E
Pick up and deliver supplies and orders as needed. E
Perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Methods and procedures of high speed digital printing processes.
- Operation and care of high speed black and white and color reprographic equipment.
- Prepress and print management software.
- Supplies and paper stock used in duplicating work.
- Intermediate level computer skills, including desktop publishing software and related methodologies.
- General bindery procedures.
- Complex methods of laying out work for reproduction.
- Record keeping techniques.
- Basic accounting skills to maintain records.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- Equipment safety standards, practices and procedures.
- Operate digital photocopiers and related equipment used in reproduction activities.
- Perform minor adjustments and repairs to photocopiers and related equipment.
- Create and design original layouts and artwork.
- Troubleshoot electronic document transfer and retrieval issues.
- Color match toners.
- Maintain equipment in good working condition.
- Plan, organize and prioritize work to meet schedules and time lines.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Follow and apply safe work practices, methods and procedures in a print shop setting, including proper lifting techniques.
- Work independently.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Train and provide direction to substitute and student workers.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and two years increasingly responsible experience in the operation of duplicating and bindery operations and the operation of related digital photocopiers, duplication equipment, cameras, computers, and color processes.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS;
Valid California driver’s license.
Duplicating environment; subject to noise from equipment operation, and driving a vehicle to conduct work.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate and adjust a variety of duplicating equipment, standing for extended periods of time, and bending at the waist, hearing and speaking to exchange information, seeing to assure quality reproductive work, lifting 60 -75 pounds.