Ravenswood Makerspace School Tinkerer
The Makerspace is a prototype working space in which students are constructing their knowledge on two levels:
Learning Environment: Room configuration is agile and therefore may be “designed” by students and teachers according to work or project needs. Each student uses the agile systems to create a work environment that meets their particular learning needs, either independently or in collaboration with others.
Content and Skill Knowledge in the STEAM fields: This is a space that allows for, and fosters the creative, hands-on construction of prototypes in conjunction with the design thinking model of problem solving (empathy and ethical application of scientific knowledge). Work done in this space is dedicated to allowing RCSD students practice applied math and science as well the authentic collaboration of all other disciplines in the process and art of making.
As a Makerspace School Tinkerer, you will be an integral part in shaping this working space and giving feedback to improve systems. You will work alongside seasoned teachers to ensure that the needs of children are successfully met.
You are a creative and energetic person who likes working with kids and exploring new ideas. You have experience working with kids in an engaging and active environment such as at a summer camp. You are a Maker, with interest and experience designing and creating things. You are not required to have the full range of technical skills that kids will need for their projects. Ravenswood STEM staff and/or teachers will be present during classes to teach various specific skills. You can learn along with the kids! What we want to see from you is the Maker spirit – a love of learning, and a proven ability to pick up skills.
The on-going duties of the Makerspace School Tinkerer will include:
- Co-creation of a user guide for the use and upkeep of the Makerspace as a student-directed learning environment that fosters autonomous use of tools and references.
- Ensuring the safety of all makers using the space. Fire extinguishers and other first aid to be kept visible and accessible to students and teachers. Training in CPR/First Aid on a yearly basis is required.
- Acquisition of raw materials for projects. Organization and labeled storage of said materials.
- Labeled storage of tools for accountability, safety, security and shared use.
- Monitoring of a scheduling system to reserve the use of the Makerspace.
- Research and development of new materials, technology and tools that would benefit the Ravenswood community and enhance the learning environment for students.
- Participation in training and professional development to acquire basic understanding on how to perform maintenance on the technology in the Makerspace, including but not limited to the laser cutter, 3-D printers, electronics equipment and robots.
- Coordinate with STEM Coordinator and Ravenswood STEM Team in regards to the general layout, furnishing, outfitting and management of the Makerspace.
- A DIY and maker mentality
- A genuine interest in assisting young people in learning about design and prototyping
- Knowledge of electronics, robotics, design thinking, and/or prototyping skills
- Understanding of issues of diversity and demographics in Ravenswood and experience in cross-cultural communication
- Strong communication skills
- Dependable, responsible and reliable – a positive role model
- Strong conflict resolution skills
- Flexible and ability to think on one's feet
- Open to giving and receiving feedback
- Enthusiastic and energetic about the potential of youth
- Participate in initial staff training
- Brainstorm and problem solve with students to complete their self-directed projects.
- Maintain vigilance to safety and proper tool use at all times
- Coordinate with other staff, including fellow Makerspace School Tinkerers across Ravenswood and the STEM team