About the Position:
Monsenor Oscar Romero Charter School (MORCS), a member of the YPI Charter Schools (YPICS) family, is seeking a 7th Grade History Teacher who possess the grit, dedication, and necessary skills to prepare our scholars for success in high school and beyond. We are seeking educators who believe deeply in our student-centered mission by constantly holding students to high expectations, working tirelessly towards results, and possessing a “whatever it takes” attitude. Ideal candidates thrive on continuous feedback, value collaboration, have a strong background in history, and continuously strive to improve their craft.
About the School:
Monsenor Oscar Romero Charter School equips urban students in grades 6-8 for academic success and active community participation. The school features personalized, small learning communities with continuous student-teacher relationships, service learning, and technology integration. The school follows a traditional calendar and serves 6th-8th grade students from predominantly Latino immigrant families in the Pico Union area of Los Angeles.
Our school is named in honor of and inspired by Monsenor Oscar Romero, a prominent Latino leader who dedicated his life to lead, inspire, and defend the poor, down trodden and marginalized people in El Salvador through his work as a priest and as the archbishop of San Salvador.
MORCS is committed to high standards, equity, and civic responsibility. The school is affiliated with the Coalition for Essential Schools and Stanford’s School Redesign Network. As such, the school will foster personalization, active engagement of students, a tone of decency and respect, and family/community partnership.
- Provide standards-based instruction for our 7th grade students in their social studies class.
- Teach a class as part of our SFA reading program each morning.
- Teach and mentor your advisees through our advisory class.
- Provide a range of instructional, management, and assessment strategies to meet the needs of all scholars.
- Create rigorous lessons and units of study that are driven by data and promote critical thinking through collaborative learning, technology integration, and innovative project-based learning.
- Collaborate with colleagues to create engaging lessons and consistent behavior systems that promote a positive school culture.
- Consistently hold students to high behavioral and academic expectations.
- Participate in creating, revising, administering, and grading assessments and tracking student data.
- Continuously cultivate strong relationships with students and families through open communication.
- Create an inviting and engaging classroom culture that sparks creativity and love of learning.
- Dedication to our mission. A steadfast commitment to ensuring our students have the tools they need to attend a college preparatory high school and beyond.
- Determination. A willingness to make things happen and a sense of urgency around closing the achievement gap.
- Strong communication. The ability to communicate in a direct and sensitive fashion with students, parents, and colleagues.
- Team player. A desire to work in a team-oriented environment and collaborate with colleagues.
- Growth mindset. An ability to receive frequent feedback with humility and a strong desire to grow and develop as an educator.
- Reflective attitude. An ability to constantly reflect on student data as well as personal areas of strength and growth.
- Flexibility. Willingness to work in an ever-changing field and face challenges with a positive attitude.
- Professional integrity. A personal alignment with the values and ethical standards of Explore Schools.
- Bachelor's degree
- Exceptional knowledge of enrichment area, required
- California Teaching Credential (required)
- 47,000+ Competitive and commensurate with experience
To apply, please e-mail the following information to Kevin Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org
(Please write "Teacher Position" in the Subject line.)
- Resume and cover letter with a description of a significant educational challenge you addressed in your classroom and the strategies you used.
- Name/contact information of three references.
- Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.