• Confers with instructional staff in the assessment and remediation of speech and
• Provides stimulation of speech and language abilities, utilizing behavior modification,
oral facilitation, phonemic vocalization, vocabulary development and expressive
• Plans, organizes and performs intensive individualized speech and language programs
for students experiencing multiple handicapping conditions.
• Maintains clinical file recordings of speech and language evaluation information,
observations and recommendations for the remediation of speech and language
• May develop an individualized speech workbook to supplement home training and to
facilitate speech and language exercises and activities.
• Utilizes a variety of instructional aids and equipment in remedying speech disabilities
and may demonstrate uses of the instructional materials and equipment to
• Develops specialized in-service programs for school and community personnel.
• Develops parent education programs and individual or group counseling to assist
parents in the prevention and/or remediation of communicative disorders, when
• Evaluates students experiencing speech and language difficulties and reports therapy
progress to the instructional staff and to parents.
• Maintains appropriate standards of pupil behavior, utilizing a variety of behavior
management strategies and techniques, emphasizing positive reinforcement and
behavior shaping procedures.
• Maintains an effective therapy environment through the proper control of heating,
lighting and ventilation, and the utilization of exhibits, displays and independent
• Selects and requisitions appropriate instructional supplies, materials, equipment and
• Participates in professional growth activities at the local, state and national levels.
• Participates as a member of District committees for maintenance of standards and
evaluations of the speech and language services.
• Cooperates and performs a variety of non-instructional duties, including therapy and
instructional development activities, student supervision and advisory and
• Participates in faculty and/or District meetings, committees and the sponsorship of