ORANGE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT CLASSIFICATION SPECIFICATION
ELEMENTARY TEACHER - GRADES 1-6
Under general supervision, serves as classroom teacher in grades 1 to 6, or a combination thereof; creates a flexible program and environment favorable to learning and personal growth in accordance with each student's ability; plans, develops, organizes and conducts a comprehensive education program for students; assists students, parents and others in aiding students in adjusting to a structured educational environment; and does other related functions as required. This position is directly responsible to the Principal.
This position classification requires subject matter expertise commonly associated with teaching and instruction. Directly related teaching and instruction experience is required to perform problem analysis using prescribed principles, methods and concepts. A teacher in this classification performs decision analysis and makes decisions of considerable consequence, in determining how best to aid students in the learning process. The functional role of this position classification requires the application and interpretation of data, facts, procedures and policies. The incumbent meets frequently with school administrators, other teachers, internal staff and members of the community to communicate information, data and alternative problem solutions.
This position classification performs light work that involves sitting a portion of the time, but requires walking and standing for extended periods and may occasionally require moving or lifting of up to fifty (50) pounds. This position requires accurate perceiving of sound, near and far vision, depth perception, handling and working with materials and objects and providing oral information. The employee is directly responsible for safety, well-being or work output of other people. The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from several people and interact with the public and other staff.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Provides learning experiences and teaches the course of study prescribed by the District approved curriculum including technology.
- Develops lesson plans and uses instructional materials suitable for verbal and/or visual instruction of students with a wide range of intellectual, physical and emotional maturity.
- Provides individual and small group instruction designed to meet individual needs and motivate students.
- Established and maintains standards of student behavior required to achieve effective participation and learning in all activities.
ORANGE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
ELEMENTARY TEACHER - GRADES 1-6 Page 2
- Models and encourages students to understand and adopt the use of proper social habits.
- Evaluates the educational progress of students in terms of class work and attainment of proficiency levels; and the educational growth in relation to the student's ability, attitude, interests and conduct.
- Provides appropriate instruction and activities for students to meet school/District policies, goals and objectives.
- Avails self to students, parents and staff for education-related purposes outside the instructional day.
- Communicates with parents through a variety of means; holds parent conferences to discuss the individual student's progress and interpret the school program.
- Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude and learning problems.
- Creates an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays such as bulletin boards, interest centers, etc.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the District and/or professional growth activities and university courses.
- Participates cooperatively with the appropriate administrators to develop the method by which she/he will be evaluated in conformance with District guidelines.
- Selects and requisitions materials necessary to provide appropriate learning experiences.
- Maintains records as required by the school, District and/or state and makes appropriate reports as directed.
- Participates in school-wide supervision of students during out-of-classroom activities.
- Participates in faculty and/or District meetings, committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Principles, theories, methods, techniques and strategies pertaining to teaching and instruction of elementary students;
- Child growth and development and behavior characteristics of elementary students;
- Educational curriculum and instructional goals and objectives, and the educational trends and research findings pertaining to student educational programming;
- Behavior management and behavior shaping strategies, techniques and methods, and conflict resolution procedures;
- Socio-economic and cultural background differences of the general school population;
- Technology including computers and computer programs.
- Plan, organize, develop, and enthusiastically conduct a comprehensive teaching and instruction program for pupils in grades 1 to 6, or a combination of these grades;
- Apply concepts and abstract learnings to practical situations;
ORANGE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
ELEMENTARY TEACHER - GRADES 1-6 Page 3
- Provide effective learning experiences for students with a wide range of socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and with varying mental, social and emotional levels;
- Effectively assess the educational needs of students and design, develop and implement sound individualized educational plans;
- Provide an attractive, inviting and stimulating learning environment;
- Perform research and development activities pertaining to related elementary curriculum and instruction programs, pilot projects and innovative programs designed to enhance student educational opportunities and experiences;
- Communicate effectively in oral and written form using grammatically correct language;
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions with minimal accountability controls;
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships;
- Utilize technology and operate computers and computer programs.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and skill is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and skill would be:
Experience: Successful completion of student teaching at a recognized college or university; participation in a recognized teacher intern program or successful classroom teaching experience, preferably in an elementary grade setting.
Education: Possession of a Baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited college or university with emphasis in elementary education, instructional technology, and a subject matter field commonly taught in the elementary grades, or closely related field areas.
Certification Requirement: Possession of a valid California credential authorizing service as a teacher in grade levels and areas assigned.
Condition of Employment: Insurability by the District's liability insurance carrier.
Personal Qualities: Appearance, grooming and personality which establish a desirable example for students. Above-average recommendations from student teaching supervisors and/or other professionals who have observed the personal characteristics, scholastic attainment and classroom performance of the teacher.