JOB SUMMARY: Under supervision, perform various routine and semi-skilled maintenance, custodial and grounds tasks, customer service and security in the care of District use facilities and grounds during the weekend and non-school operational times. This job requires a high level of judgment in sometimes stressful situations working alone to protect the facilities use of the San Mateo Union High School District. Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Checks if all users of facilities have a permit or if it is a site event.
- Remove those users without permits.
- Remove all dogs and skaters from campus, and strollers from the athletics tracks.
- Cleans facilities after renters have gone including classrooms, bathrooms, offices, multipurpose rooms, storage areas, grounds, playgrounds for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe and attractive environment.
- Opens and closes a variety of district facilities for renters.
- Maintains facilities and grounds (landscape areas, lawns, shrubbery, flowers, etc.) and related items (e.g. storm drains, roof drains, litter, painting, etc.) for the purpose of keeping the areas attractive, protect against flooding/erosion and removing hazards.
- Maintains tools and/or equipment for the purpose of ensuring the availability of equipment in safe operating condition.
- Plant various landscaping materials for the purpose of keeping the areas attractive and for protection against erosion.
- Confers with site administration, athletic coaches, and other staff for the purpose of adjusting schedules and activities and completing projects/work orders efficiently.
- Prepares clean and concise documentation to communicate with others.
- Repairs various items, systems and/or components (e.g. furniture and equipment, doors, lockers, chairs, lights, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring that items are available and in safe working condition.
- Request equipment and supplies for the purpose of maintaining inventory and ensuring availability of items required to properly maintain facilities.
- Maintain the safety on campus.
- Respond to emergency situations for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
- Oversee safety on facilities use campuses.
- Provide first aid assistance when necessary.
- Secure facilities and grounds for the purpose of minimizing property damage, equipment loss and potential liability to organization.
- Arranges/assembles furnishings and equipment for the purpose of providing items in working condition and adequate preparation for meetings, gyms, classroom activities and events.
- Sweeps walks and driveways and removes papers and rubbish.
- Ensures safety of the play structure areas is maintained.
- Makes simple repairs to facilities.
- Moves furniture as required for renters need.
- Candidate must be able to perform essential duties 1-22 above with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Maintains a positive, helpful, constructive attitude and working relationship with the department supervisor and departmental employees, other District employees, the Board of Education, students, parents and the general public.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Basic methods and best practices for custodial, maintenance, safety and grounds.
- Certified Pool Operator is preferred.
- Perform multiple, non-technical tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing needs. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adhering to safety practices, handling hazardous materials and operating equipment use in an industrial setting.
- Schedule activities, collects data, and considers a number of factors when using equipment.
- Communicate effectively and be flexible when working with others in a variety of circumstances. In working with others, some problem solving may be required to identify issues and select action plans. Problem solving with data required following prescribed guidelines and problem solving with equipment is moderate.
- Work with data using specific, defined processes.
- Operate equipment using a variety of standardized methods.
- Multi-task in a very busy environment.
- Drive manual transmission vehicle.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Observe health and safety regulations.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
- Maintain routine records related to work performed.
- Meet District standard of professional attitude as outline in Board Policies 4119.21, 4219.21, & 4319.21, Professional Standards for Classified Employees.
- Speak, read and write in English.
- If employed in a fulltime capacity (1FTE or 37.5 hours per week) hours include a 10 hour shifts each on Saturday and Sunday, and the remaining hours will be determined by the Supervisor and will change as needed.
- This position will move between sites and float as needed.
- Indoor and outdoor environment.
- Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
- Regular exposure to fumes, dust and odors.
- Hazardous chemicals.
- The District provides OSHA regulated safety training as needed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Manual dexterity and coordination sufficient to operate landscaping equipment.
- Physical stamina to stand, reach, bend, lift, kneel and squat.
- The ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Noise level in working environment is high.
- Must maintain a valid California Driver’s License and insurability to drive a District vehicle.
- Must maintain certification in basic First Aid, CPR and AED.
- Must successfully pass the District’s pre-employment Department of Justice Live Scan fingerprinting.
- Must successfully pass the District’s pre-employment tuberculosis testing.
Work Year: Hourly on variable basis
Work Hours: 37.5 Hours per week
- This position works 10 hours on Saturday and 10 hours Sunday on straight time
- This position will move between sites as needed
By closing date, interested outside applicants and interested District employees must submit a completed application form through www.edjoin.org. If you have any questions on applying or attaching documentation, please contact the EDJOIN Support Desk at (888)900-8945.
Reasonable accommodations may be made, upon request, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the above stated essential functions and the application procedure.