Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4219.328
VOCATIONAL LIAISON – SPECIAL EDUCATION
The Vocational Liaison – Special Education works under general direction of the classroom teacher; transports students from the classroom to off campus locations and provides job-related training and support; administers required specialized physical health care procedures on students as directed by physicians and instructed by the School Nurse.
• Implements instructional strategies developed by the classroom teacher, and may work with students in the absence of a certificated staff member.
• Operates district vehicle to transport students to various off-campus, worksite locations.
• Assists students on and off district vehicle and enforces the use of seatbelts.
• Modifies academic and job training lessons for individual student needs as directed by the teacher or employer.
• Provides employers with training and employment information of special needs individuals.
• Operates wheelchair lifts and secures wheelchairs.
• Assists students with job interviews and work site policies and procedures.
• Acts as a liaison between school and local businesses.
• Assists students requiring specialized health care procedures (e.g. toileting, tube feeding, diabetic monitoring, EPI-Pen) and addresses immediate health care needs to allow students to function in academic and vocational environments.
• Assists students with building self-esteem by providing proper examples and emotional support.
• Assist student with feeding and/or preparation of special dietary needs.
• Lifts and positions students in and out of wheelchairs, braces and other orthopedic equipment.
• Checks the condition of district vehicles (tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water and safety equipment) prior to departure.
• Performs related clerical work such as charting, correcting papers, attendance records, etc.
• May participate in conferences with parents.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training, which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
• One (1) year of experience in assisting teachers in a Special Education classroom, such as Paraprofessional - Health in the District, supplemented by college level units in education
• First Aid and CPR Certification is required at time of employment.
SKILLS to drive a multi-passenger vehicle; conduct safety inpections and perform basic routine maintenance; assist with instruction related activities in the classroom, community, and employment agencies; provide feedback to teachers, students and employers regarding daily performance of students; administer first aid and CPR; operate standard office equipment and use pertinent software applications; prepare and maintain accurate records.
KNOWLEDGE of safe and defensive driving practices, provisions of the Califorina State Motor Vehicle code and Education Code applicable to the operation of vehicles transporting students; applicable traffic and transportation laws; principles, skills, and techniques involved in tutoring; record keeping; health and safety regulations, basic first aid and CPR procedures; basic English, math and spelling at 12th grade level; psychology in the care and handling of children; Department of Labor, wage and hour regulations; California Department of Rehabilitation supported employment services and funding procedures.
ABILITY to recognize equipment malfunctions and take appropriate action; lift and position students; interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures; learn district organization, operations, policies and objectives; understand and follow oral and written directions; communicate both orally and in writing; learn and understand the disabilities of students as they apply to job placements; learn to analyze jobs and working conditions; adapt tutoring methods and procedures to individual requirements; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 50% standing, 20% walking, and 30% sitting. The job is performed under some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination
Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability
Print out of H-6 (good driving record documentation) is required at time of employment.
48 college units, or an AA degree, or be able to demonstrate college level skills by passing the No Child Left Behind proficiency test (post hire)
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Pre-placement Physical Exam
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 20 5/27/08