Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4219.308
The Accounting Technician performs a variety of responsible and technical accounting duties in support of an assigned school, special program or district function; prepares, maintains, and processes a variety of financial and statistical documents, records and reports; maintains and reconciles accounts in accordance with established policies, procedures and regulations.
• Maintains manual and electronic documents, files and/or records (e.g. invoices, requisitions, purchase orders, inventories, etc.).
• Prepares a variety of written materials (e.g. claims reimbursements, state/federal reports, spreadsheets, budgets, etc.).
• Processes a variety of fiscal information (e.g. invoices, requisitions, purchase orders, bank deposits, year end closings, etc.).
• Reconciles account balances as assigned (e.g. year-end closing of accounts, accruals, bank accounts, etc.).
• Researches discrepancies of information.
• Responds to inquiries from staff, vendors, etc.
• Performs record keeping and program specific clerical functions (e.g. copying, faxing, filing, etc.).
• Assists outside auditors.
• Monitors fund balances of assigned programs and related financial activity (e.g. open purchase orders, invoices, etc.).
• Reviews financial information (e.g. cafeteria reports, etc.).
• Audits financial data and documents.
• Collaborates with other staff .
• Informs staff regarding a variety of procedures and program requirements.
• Assists other personnel.
• Attends in-service trainings, staff meetings, workshops, etc. as requested.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Work experience equivalent to completion of high school, supplemented by courses in accounting. Five years of increasingly responsible record keeping and reporting which involves manual, machine and computer accounting systems. Successful completion of no less than 30 semester units of college course work may be substituted for up to two years of required experience.
SKILLS to perform complex accounting and auditing work; prepare, develop, mainain and monitor financial statements and reports; review and reconcile assigned accounts and reports; assist in the preparation of the annual budget; monitor and administer budgetary expenditures; analyze and evaluate data; make arithmetical calcuations with speed and accuracy; operate standard office equipment including using pertinent software applications.
KNOWLEDGE of methods, practices, and terminology used in accounting, bookkeeping, statistacal and financial record keeping; basic financial analysis; laws, rules, relations and principles related to accounting activities; district operations, policies, and objectives related to accounting; complex accounting and auditing work; pertinent computer software applications including Microsoft Word and Excel.
ABILITY to collect and research information; demonstrate analytical and problem solving skills; read, understand, interpret and apply district budget, rules, and policies; maintain current knowledge of applicable laws, codes, rules and regulations; adapt to changing work priorities; be attentive to detail; communicate with diverse groups; meet deadlines and schedules; set priorities; work with constant interruptions; work with detailed information/data; resolve problems with tact and proficiency; understand, be sensitive to and respect the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disabilities, and sexual orientation of teachers, administrators, and staff; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 85% sitting, 10% walking, and 5% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 32 11/27/07