WINDSOR UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
TITLE: Classroom Teacher – Secondary Grades 6-12
Under the general supervision of site or program administrator, provides educational program for pupils in grades 6-12, or a combination thereof, and assists in other school programs as assigned within the scope of their credential. Provides for a sound educational program utilizing the most effective instructional and motivational techniques, works closely in cooperation with students, parents, fellow teachers and administrators to instruct, guide, supervise, discipline and counsel; to enforce rules, regulations, and policies as stipulated by state and local Board of Trustees; carry out all conditions prescribed in the state approved curriculum frameworks and standards in the Education Code.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following are typical duties and examples of responsibilities for positions in this classification. Any single position may not perform all of these tasks and/or may perform similar related tasks not listed below.
- Teach courses in the subject matter assigned to secondary pupils, utilizing course of study and state standards adopted by the Board of Trustees
- Instruct pupils in citizenship and civic responsibility, basic communication skills and other general elements of the course of study common to all teachers, as specified in state law, District and state administrative regulations and procedures
- Maintain a course of study that meets the requirements for the University of California and the Western Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- Develop a balanced subject matter program involving factual background materials, material on current events, discussion time and other appropriate activities designed to encourage pupils to develop skills and form attitudes, draw conclusion, achieve improved interpersonal relationships and make personal value judgments based on scientific methods of inquiry
- Provide individual and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of pupils with varying abilities, attitudes and cultural background
- Make material from a variety of media resources available to pupils in conformance with District standards for supplemental instruction
- Encourage pupils to become aware of the complexity and interrelations of local, state, national and world problems
- Establish and maintain standards of pupil behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom learning environment
- Evaluate each pupil’s development in the course being taught and prepare progress reports and timely feedback
- Maintain professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the District and/or in self-selected professional growth activities
Classroom Teacher – Secondary Grades 6-12
- Participate cooperatively with the site administrator to mutually develop the system by which he/she will be evaluated in conformance with the District’s uniform guidelines for evaluation and assessment
- Select and request textbooks and instructional supplies as needed
- Communicate with parent(s), school counselor and pupil to discuss his/her individual pupil’s progress
- Identify pupil needs and cooperate with other professionals in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude and learning problems
- Administer standardized and common content assessment tests in conformance with WASC accreditations standards
- Monitor students progress utilizing electronic media and software
- Supervise pupils during out-of-classroom activities within the assigned work day or supervision schedule/adjunct duties
- Participate in curriculum and other developmental programs within the school or assignment and/or on a District level
- Perform basic attendance accounting, record keeping and necessary paperwork
- Utilize computers and software programs to enhance the learning environment and communicate with school stakeholder
- Plan and coordinate the work of student assistants and/or other para-professionals as needed
- Maintain student confidentiality
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
KNOWLEDGE OF AND ABILITY TO:
- Create a flexible program and class environment favorable to student learning and personal growth
- Motivate pupils to develop learning skills and positive attitude
- Establish effective rapport with students
- Establish good relationships with parents and other staff members
- Provide a good educational foundation for post secondary education in accordance with each pupil’s ability
- Foster an attitude of life-long learning
- Improve and maintain professional skills and knowledge
- Utilize a variety of computer and software programs
- Be flexible and receptive to change
Classroom Teacher – Secondary Grades 6-12
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
- Valid California Teaching Credential authorizing instruction in content areas assigned for the position
- ELL certification (ie: CLAD or BCLAD)
- Meet the federal standards for a Highly Qualified Teacher
- Bilingual/Biliterate in English and Spanish
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, sit and walk. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or manipulate object, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential function.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Replaces Board Approved Job Description of October 15, 1981
First Reading: 03/30/2010
Second Reading: 04/20/2010
Board Approval: 04/20/2010