Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
CAMPUS SECURITY ASSISTANT
The Campus Security Assistant provides for the safety and welfare of students during classroom and non-classroom activities; minimizes the frequency and/or severity of harmful incidents; and communicates observations and/or incidents that have a potential impact on the general well being of students, school personnel, and/or visitors.
• Analyzes information and situations regarding activities that may be in violation of school policies and/or an indication of possible criminal activity.
• Prepares a variety of documents (e.g. incident reports, security logs, memos, letters, procedures, etc.).
• Recommends policies, procedures and/or actions to school administration (e.g. supplies and equipment, schedules, practices, etc.).
• Collaborates with other school and district personnel, assigned police officer, representatives of local agencies, etc..
• Informs personnel, students, parents and/or visitors of school policies and procedures.
• Maintains a variety of information, files and records (e.g. schedules, investigations, guidelines, etc.).
• Responds to a variety of situations (e.g. accidents, injuries, vandalism, fire alarms, etc.).
• Assists other personnel as may be required.
• Monitors student events (e.g. dances, athletic events,etc.).
• Intervenes in potential conflicts.
• Monitors students within a variety of school environments (e.g. rest rooms, grounds, hallways, library, cafeteria, parking lots, etc.).
• Refers observations and incidents (e.g. injuries, altercations, suspicious activities, inappropriate social behavior, violations of rules, etc.).
• Communicates school policies and enforcement procedures to students, personnel and visitors.
• Investigates unusual incidents (e.g. unauthorized visitors, threats against students, possible violations of school policy, etc.).
• Issues lockers and parking stickers.
• Transports students as may be required.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Graduation from high school and one year of experience working with students.
SKILLS to patrol and monitor campus to maintain order and security in schools; observe situations and accurately determine effective courses of action; recognize signs of danger to school property; analyze and deal effectively with emergency situations; remember names, faces, and details of occurances; administer first aid; operate standard office equipment and use pertinent software applications; and prepare and maintain accurate records.
KNOWLEDGE of investigative and law-enformecement procedures and techniques; regulations pertaining to the protection of buildings and groups belonging to the district; local law-enforcement, service, and emergency agencies; district and school rules and regulations; basic interests, attitudes, and emotional development of adolescents; record keeping; health and safety regulations; basic first aid and CPR procedures.
ABILITY to interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures; learn district organization, operations, policies and objectives; understand and follow oral and written directions; communicate both orally and in writing; understand when use of force is necessary and when it can be avoided; work varying hours including nights, weekends, and holidays; work collaboratively in a team environment; establish and maintain successful working relationships; work effectively with students; work confidentially with discretion; operate a variety of office equipment and software systems; provide excellent customer service and promote a positive work environment; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and some fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 10% sitting, 60% walking, and 30% standing. The job is performed under with some temperature extremes and some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability
Successful completion of the SB1626 Campus Security Safety Program
Valid First Aide/CPR certificate
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
As directed by changes in laws/policies, and determined by Supervisor. Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Pre-placement Physical Exam
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 22 11/27/07