Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.303
The Accounting Clerk performs responsible, varied and specialized financial and statistical functions in support of the accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and general bookkeeping responsibilities.
• Maintains manual and electronic documents, files and records (e.g. revolving cash fund, invoices, required financial reports, receipts, etc.).
• Monitors fund balances of assigned programs and related financial activity (e.g. open purchase orders, invoices, etc.).
• Prepares a wide variety of financial information and reports (e.g. monthly/quarterly/annual financial reports, requested query reports, correspondence, memos, absence reports, state and federal reports, state/federal forms, checks, etc.).
• Processes various forms of fiscal information (e.g. purchase requisitions, purchase orders, invoices, time cards, journal entries, state/federal forms, requisitions, accruals, demographics changes, mail, warrants, bank deposits, etc.).
• Reconciles financial information and/or accounts (e.g. accruals, invoices, purchase requisitions, bank statements, purchase orders, posted payments, etc.).
• Researches discrepancies of financial information and/or documentation (e.g. accruals, purchase requisitions, purchase orders, invoices, payroll issues, etc.).
• Assists outside auditors.
• Responds to inquiries from a variety of sources (e.g. vendors, staff, parents, etc.).
• Compiles financial and statistical information.
• Reviews financial information.
• Performs record keeping and clerical functions (e.g. copying, faxing, filing, etc.).
• Assists other personnel as may be required.
• Attends in-service trainings, staff meetings, workshops, etc. as requested.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is: Equivalent to graduation from high school and three years of general office accounting experience, including work with bookkeeping, financial, statistical, or similar duties requiring regular use of arithmetic and accurate record keeping.
SKILLS to verify, balance, and adjust accounts; track and reconcile information between accounts and ledgers; perform arithmetical calculations with speed and accuracy; operate standard office equipment including using pertinent software applications; perform standard bookkeeping; maintain accurate financial and statisical records; prepare reports.
KNOWLEDGE of accounting/bookkeeping principles; pertinent computer software applications including Microsoft Word and Excel; general principles, procedures and practices of financial record keeping; methods, procedures, and terminology used in clerical accounting work; preparation, review and control of assigned accounts; standard methods of filing in alphabetic, numeric, and chronological order.
ABILITY to type at a speed of 40 words per minute; adapt to changing work priorities; communicate with diverse groups; establish and meet deadlines and schedules; work with detailed information/data; understand and follow oral and written directions; read and interpret procedural manuals and policy guidelines; effectively work in a demanding environment; understand, be sensitive to and respect the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disabilities, and sexual orientation of teachers, administrators and staff; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 80% sitting, 10% walking, and 10% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
Typing certificate providing proof of ability to type 40 WPM
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exemp Teams 2 26 11/27/07