Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.322
The Custodian maintains an attractive, sanitary and safe facility for students, staff and public; provides equipment and furniture arrangements for meetings, classroom activities, and events; and minimizes property damage, loss and liability exposure.
• Arranges furnishings and equipment.
• Cleans assigned school or district facilities (e.g. classrooms, offices, restrooms, multipurpose rooms, corridors, carpets, removes graffiti, windows, walls, restrooms, bleachers, stage, locker rooms, sidewalks, grounds, etc.).
• Inspects school or district facilities.
• Maintains supplies and equipment (e.g. cleaning solutions, paper products, vacuum, mops, etc.
• Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. facility damage, unauthorized persons, alarms, etc.).
• Distributes supplies, equipment and/or mail (as assigned) (e.g. fill soap dispensers, towel/toilet paper dispensers, packages, furniture, TV/VCR carts, etc.).
• Secures facilities and grounds (e.g. lock doors, turn off lights, sets alarm, etc.).
• Prepares facility for daily operations as may be required (e.g. opening gates, raising flags, unlocks doors, etc.).
• Assists other personnel as may be required.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
Completion of formal or informal education sufficient to assure the ability to read and write at the level required for successful job performance and six months of experience in custodial work.
SKILLS to operate equipment used in industrial maintenance including electrical cleaning equipment, common tools, etc.; adhere to safety practices; maintain assigned tools and equipment in clean working order; maintain classrooms, offices and other facilities in a clean, safe and secure condition; move and arrange furniture and equipment for meetings and special events; use common tools to perform minor building maintenance; use common cleaning equipment and supplies safely and efficiently.
KNOWLEDGE of methods of industrial cleaning including cleaning and perserving of floors, whiteboards, carpets, furniture, walls, and fixtures; safety practices and procedures; cleaning tools, materials and supplies used in custodial work.
ABILITY to communicate, be understood, give and carry out instructions spoken in English; communicate to site administrators and supervisor custodial needs, schedules and concerns; carry out oral and written instructions; observe and report safey hazards and need for maintenance repair; learn custodial procedures, methods and schedules; operate a vehicle observing defensive driving practices; adapt to changing work priorities; communicate with diverse groups; work as part of a team; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 5% sitting, 70% walking, and 25% standing. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations and some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 21 11/27/07