Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.384
The Assistant Buyer coordinates the processing of purchasing documentation; maintains vendor/source information, inventories, etc.; provides training on specialized purchasing and warehouse applications; and develops standards, descriptions, specifications and bids.
• Evaluates vendors and bids.
• Reviews documents and information (e.g. incoming requisitions, past purchases, reconciliations, inventories, etc.).
• Maintains manual and electronic documents, files and records (e.g. inventory records, warehouse catalog, purchase record files, etc.).
• Prepares a variety of written materials (e.g. requests for bid/quotations, specifications, resumes, board reports, requisitions, purchase orders, etc.).
• Responds to inquiries.
• Reconciles fiscal information, verifies receipts, maintains accurate account balances and complies with related policies, practices and regulations.
• Collaborates with ordering and receiving personnel in schools and district offices and facilitates efficient transfer of information regarding purchasing requirements.
• Oversees assigned clerical personnel as appropriate.
• Processes documents and materials (e.g. orders, receipts, deliveries, mail, invoices, warehouse orders, vendor files, etc.).
• Trains personnel on OneSource purchasing and warehouse applications.
• Assists other personnel.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is: Equivalent to graduation from high school and three years of responsible office work in purchasing and buying activities involving accountability for some independent activity.
SKILLS to operate standard office equipment including using pertinent software applications; perform standard bookkeeping; receive and process purchase requisitions; perform mathematical computations, complete reports and reimbursementsprepare and maintaining accurate records.
KNOWLEDGE of basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios; accounting/bookkeeping principles; office management procedures; concepts of grammar and punctuation; and purchasing procedures, practices, methods, and terminology.
ABILITY to type 45 words per minute; adapt to changing work priorities; communicate with diverse groups; meet deadlines and schedules; set priorities; input data correctly; perform several tasks simultaneously; organize and prioritize work; work with detailed information/data; maintain a work pace appropriate to a given workload; establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with students, fellow employees, teachers, and administrators; understand, be sensitive to and respect the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disabilities and sexual orientation of students, teachers, administrators and staff; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 70% sitting, 15% walking, and 15% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination
Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
Typing certificate providing proof of ability to type 45 WPM
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Pre-placement Physical Exam
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, local 911 Maintenance & Operations Unit, and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 1 16 1/22/08