Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4321.5
LICENSED VOCATIONAL NURSE
The Licensed Vocational Nurse travels to various school sites within the District and performing a wide variety of nursing duties; performs specialized health procedures on students; conducts hearing screenings and assures compliance with State laws and District policies.
• Travels to various school sites within the District and perform a wide variety of nursing duties.
• Performs specialized health procedures on students according to established protocols; operate specialized medical equipment.
• Schedules and conduct hearing screenings at District sites; operate and read an audiometer; explain hearing screening procedures to students; provide for follow-up activities as needed.
• Informs teachers of physical or health concerns of students.
• Maintains health records for students.
• Communicates with District personnel and outside organizations to exchange information, refer students, coordinate activities and resolve other health-related issues and concerns.
• Assists the credentialed school nurse with health screenings, immunizations, dental and recording procedures; assist the school nurse with special education as requested.
• Coordinates ordering of health supplies for District schools; distribute health supplies to schools as needed.
• Assists with distributing approved health information.
• Assists other personnel, as may be required.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training, which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
Graduation from High School and one year of related work experience;
Graduation from an accredited Vocational Nurses Training program.
SKILLS to perform specialized duties related to the health and medical care of students; identify health and medical needs and recommend appropriate care and services; screen patients for vision, hearing and other medical problems; counsel and provide health related information to patients; respond appropriately to medical emergencies; prepare clear, concise and accurate reports, correspondence, and other written materials; operate a computer using word processing and other business software and standard office equipment.
KNOWLEDGE of modern medical terminology, equipment and diagnostic methods and techniques; principals and techniques of performing standard and emergency healthcare and nursing assessments; accepted testing techniques; uses and side effects of various medications; current nursing principles, practices, techniques, and equipment; local communicable diseases and their precautions, treatments and side effects; public health agencies and local health care resources available to district students and staff; appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
ABILITY to handle emergencies in a calm and effective manner; maintain confidentiality of patient files and records; maintain current knowledge of technological advances in the field; work independently with little direction; travel to various locations; set priorities; establish and maintain effective working relationships; work as part of a team; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 20% sitting, 30% walking, and 50% standing. The job is performed under some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability
Valid State license as a Licensed Vocational Nurse
Valid First Aid and CPR Certificate
California Audiometrist Certificate (desired)
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Pre-placement Physical Exam
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 31 11/27/07