Job Description / Essential Elements:
PALM SPRINGS UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT CLASS SPECIFICATION
Palm Springs, California AR 4319.720
Under the direction of the Director of Purchasing, Warehouse and Reprographics, perform technical duties in the purchase of District supplies, furniture, equipment and services, research and obtain price quotations and bids and order items in accordance with District policies and procedures; expedite purchases and back orders; perform various record-keeping and filing duties as required.
· Perform technical duties in the purchase of District supplies, furniture, equipment and services; review and process requisitions in accordance with District policies and procedures.
· Coordinate and process bid specifications and contracts; receive bids and price quotes and evaluate according to established criteria; record bid events and verify vendor compliance with bid requirements and restrictions.
· Review requisitions, purchase orders and bids for conformance and compliance with established standards and regulations; obtain necessary information from District personnel to complete documentation.
· Communicate with vendors and District personnel to exchange information, resolve discrepancies, correct errors and clarify issues related to purchase orders, invoices, statements, deliveries and payments.
· Develop and maintain a variety of logs, contracts, files and records relating to requisitions, inventory, vendors and other purchasing-related issues; prepare periodic and special reports as needed; maintain warranty records.
· Contact vendors regarding prices, quotations, detailed specifications and shipping and delivery information; interview vendors regarding new merchandise and determine new sources of supply; update and maintain vendor lists and files; negotiate price, specifications, conditions of delivery and other related issues as necessary or appropriate; renew contracts as appropriate.
· Participate in renovation and new school site projects; determine use of current furniture and equipment or need to purchase new furniture or equipment.
· Order new telephone lines from appropriate vendor as assigned; prepare work orders for maintenance personnel for activation of new lines; maintain records related to phone lines, access codes, pay phones and other records.
· Operate a computer and other standard office equipment as assigned; drive a vehicle to various sites to conduct work.
· Train and provide work direction to assigned staff.
· Participate in special projects such as reparations during summer months, arranging for destruction of records or other projects as assigned.
· Maintain current knowledge of sources of supply, products, furniture and equipment; attend vendor shows or seminars related to school district purchasing.
· Perform related duties as assigned.
· District and department purchasing policies and procedures.
· Applicable sections of State Education Code and other applicable laws.
· Purchasing procedures, terminology, inventory control and related methods and procedures.
· Types and sources of supplies.
· Record-keeping techniques.
· Operation of a computer and assigned software.
· Bid specification preparation.
· Basic research methods.
· Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
· Oral and written communication skills.
· Principles and practices of training and providing work direction to others.
· Perform technical duties in the purchase of District supplies, furniture, equipment and services.
· Exercise sound judgment in the purchase of a variety of materials, supplies and equipment.
· Prepare complete and concise specifications.
· Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
· Operate a computer and a variety of office equipment.
· Train and provide work direction to others.
· Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
· Understand and follow oral and written directions.
· Plan and organize work.
· Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Maintain records and prepare reports.
· Meet schedules and time lines.
· Work independently with little direction.
· Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
· Maintain current knowledge of sources of supply, products, furniture and equipment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination equivalent to:
· Graduation from high school.
· Three years increasingly responsible experience in a purchasing function.
· Valid California driver's license.
· Office environment.
· Constant interruptions.
· Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
· Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
· Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
· Seeing to read a variety of materials.
· Sitting for extended periods of time.
Director, Purchasing, Warehouse and Reprographics
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of Board policy on Evaluation of Management/Confidential employees.