Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.352
PARAPROFESSIONAL – EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
The Paraprofessional - Early Childhood under immediate supervision, assists teachers in supervising the classroom and playground activities of children in Early Childhood Education Programs; conveys and receives information; sets up and cleans before and after meals and snacks; maintains a clean and safe classroom environment for the children; and ensures compliance with established regulations.
• Administers first aid and medication to children as may be required.
• Monitors children (e.g. naps, lunch, breakfast, playground activities, etc.).
• Cleans a various areas (e.g. bathroom, kitchen, after meals/snacks, work area, etc.).
• Coordinates assigned age appropriate program activities (e.g. daily activities, reading stories, art, painting, playground activities, etc.).
• Reports observations and incidents.
• Participates in various meetings (e.g. monthly parent meeting, in service training, staff meetings, etc.).
• Assists in serving lunch, breakfast, and snacks (e.g. apportioning food, supervision of servings, etc.).
• Confers with parents, children, staff, teacher, etc. (e.g. parent conferences, monthly parent meetings, etc.).
• Performs record keeping and clerical functions (e.g. answers phone, logs children in/out, contacting parents, etc.).
• Maintains facility (e.g. opens, closes, organizes materials, sets up work area, etc.).
• Translates verbal and written materials, as may be requested, (e.g. parent conferences, notices to parents, etc.).
• Assists other personnel as may be required.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
Under a qualified instructor, successful completion of at least six early childhood semester units, or three completed units along with proof of enrollment for three units to be completed by end of semester. Completion of an early childhood training program, offered by an accredited community college and/or university.
Experience working with groups of preschool children in paid or volunteer capacity.
SKILLS to follow and carry out written and oral instructions provided by the teacher; tutor individual and/or small groups of students; learn teacher developed behavioral strategies; perform routine clerical work; file student information; operate standard office equipment; prepare and maintain accurate records.
KNOWLEDGE of stages of child development and learning styles; age appropriate activities; classroom procedures and appropriate student conduct; safe practices in classroom and playground activities; health standards and hazards; and safety practices and procedures.
ABILITY to communicate with diverse groups; maintain confidentiality and use discretion; exhibit patience and compassion; work with frequent interruptions; learn, expplain and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies, and procedures; maintain a clean, safe and orderly environment; understand and follow oral and written directions; handle emergencies in a calm and effective manner; adapt to changing work locations; set priorities; establish and maintain effective working relationships; work as part of a team; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 30% sitting, 30% walking, and 40% standing. The job is performed under some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
48 college units, or an AA degree, or be able to demonstrate college level skills by passing the No Child Left Behind proficiency test
6 units of college credit coursework in Child Growth & Development and Child-Family-Community Development
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Pre-placement Physical Exam
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 16 11/27/07