Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.406
OFFICE SPECIALIST - DISTRICT
The Office Specialist - District provides a wide variety of clerical support to assigned personnel; communicates information to staff and the public; provides complete and accurate records; and provides information and/or direction as may be requested.
• Prepares a variety of documents and materials (e.g. notes, standardized correspondence, calendars, etc.) and communicates information to school and district personnel, the public, state officials, etc.
• Maintains a variety of records and/or files (e.g. periodic reports, eligibility reports, vacancy report, employee records, etc.).
• Processes documents, forms, reports and materials (e.g. reports, requisitions, fees, mail, applications, test scores for applicants, payroll, invoices, new hire packets, etc.) and disseminates information as appropriate.
• Responds to inquiries of staff, the public, parents and/or students.
• Maintains inventory of office supplies.
• Orients substitutes.
• Performs record keeping and general clerical functions (e.g. proofreading, filing, copying, faxing, etc.).
• Distributes a variety of items within district, county and/or school site (e.g. sorts mail/packages, mail, supplies, messages, paper work/reports, payroll, application packets, email, etc.).
• Greets visitors (e.g. public, parents, students, substitutes, vendors, etc.) and directs them to appropriate personnel in accordance with District policies regarding building security.
• Monitors assigned district activities and/or program components (e.g. county/state reporting, vacation/benefits, expenditures, job applicant testing, etc.).
• Assists other personnel as may be required.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and three years of responsible office experience, preferably including stenographic or secretarial responsibilities.
SKILLS to answer telephones and greet the public courteously; provide excellent customer service and promote a positive work environment; operate a variety of office equipment including a computer and applicable software; prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under various time constraints; perform clerical duties such as filing, word processing, duplicating and maintaining routine records with accuracy.
KNOWLEDGE of the operation of office machines including computer equipment and specified software; modern office practices and procedures, alpha and numeric filing systems; basic record-keeping techniques; basic financial record-keeping techniques; correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
ABILITY to type at a speed of 45 words per minute from clear copy; perform clerical duties to relieve supervisor of routine detail; answer phones and greet the public courteously; problem solve, organize, and communicate with others; provide excellent customer service and promote a positive work environment; learn and interpret rules, regulations, and instructions; understand and work within scope of authority; handle multiple projects with deadlines in an accurate manner; maintain confidentiality and use discretion; follow oral and written directions; set priorities; establish and maintain effective working relationships; work as part of a team; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 60% sitting, 10% walking, and 30% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
Typing certificate providing proof of ability to type 45 WPM
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 24 11/27/07