Job Description / Essential Elements:
The job of Food Service Worker is done for the purpose/s of preparing and serving food items to students and/or school
personnel as well as maintaining food service facilities in a safe and sanitary condition.
• Arranges food and beverage items for the purpose of serving them to students and staff in an efficient manner.
• Assists students (e.g. retrieving utensils, cleaning spills, seats, etc.) for the purpose of creating a safe, timely and healthy
• Assists with physical inventories for the purpose of verifying stocks and ensuring availability of supplies as needed.
Cleans utensils, equipment, and storage, food preparation and serving areas for the purpose of maintaining required
• Collects payments for food items from students and staff (e.g. cash, meal tickets, etc.) for the purpose of securing funds
for reimbursement of costs.
• Inspects food items, supplies and/or equipment (e.g. monitoring temperature, storage, etc.) for the purpose of verifying
quantity and specifications of orders and/or complying with mandated health requirements.
• Monitors available food, condiments and supplies (e.g. refills milk cooler, and condiment bottles, calls in requests for
additional food; stocks food bar, etc.) for the purpose of making items available to the students.
• Monitors kitchen and cafeteria areas for the purpose of ensuring a safe and sanitary working environment.
• Prepares daily item counts and associated reports for the purpose of providing documentation for items served.
Prepares food for serving (e.g. transfer from food trays, verify food temperature, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring a safe
and healthy mealtime experience.
• Removes leftover food from lunchroom for the purpose of maintaining sanitary conditions.
• Responds to inquiries of students, staff and the public for the purpose of providing information and/or direction regarding
the type and/or cost of meals.
• Serves one or more items of food for the purpose of meeting mandated nutritional requirements and/or requests of
students and school personnel.
• Stocks food, condiments and supplies for the purpose of maintaining adequate quantities and rotating stock for freshness.
• Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform single, non-technical tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adhering to safety practices; operating equipment used in food service operations.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math; read and follow instructions; and understand multi-step written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: health standards related to food handling; safety practices and procedures; volume food preparation of basic item such as salads, sandwiches, etc.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities; collate data; and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others; work with data utilizing specific, defined processes; and operate equipment using defined methods. Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with specific, job-related data; and utilize job-related equipment. In working with others, Problem solving with data requires following prescribed guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; displaying tact and courtesy; working as part of a team; intermittently perform moderate physical demanding activities.
Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized procedures; providing information and/or advising others; and operating within a defined budget and/or financial guidelines. There is a continual opportunity to impact the Organization’s services
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 10% sitting, 30% walking, and 60% standing. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations and some hazardous conditions.
Experience: Job related experience is required.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent.