Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4320.25
OFFICE SPECIALIST - SCHOOL
The Office Specialist - School provides a wide variety of clerical support to assigned personnel; communicates information to staff and the public; provides complete and accurate records; and provides information and/or direction as may be requested.
• Prepares a variety of documents and materials (e.g. notes, standardized correspondence, calendars, meal counts, attendance reports, cumulative student folders, etc.) and communicates information to school and district personnel, the public, state officials, etc.
• Maintains a variety of records and/or files (e.g. lunch accounts, rosters, daily attendance, periodic reports, attendance reports, student cumulative folders, test scores, etc.).
• Processes documents, forms, reports and materials (e.g. reports, cash payments, requisitions, fees, mail, applications, etc.) and disseminates information as appropriate.
• Responds to inquiries of staff, the public, parents and/or students.
• Maintains inventory of office supplies.
• Monitors students referred for illness or disciplinary action.
• Collects payments and/or fees.
• Orients substitutes.
• Performs record keeping and general clerical functions (e.g. proofreading, filing, copying, faxing, etc.).
• Distributes a variety of items within school site (e.g. sorts mail/packages, mail, supplies, messages, paper work/reports, cumulative records; admission slips, etc.).
• Greets visitors (e.g. public, parents, students, substitutes, vendors, etc.) and directs them to appropriate personnel in accordance with District policies regarding building security.
• Assists other personnel as may be required.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and three years of responsible office experience, preferably including stenographic or secretarial responsibilities.
SKILLS to answer telephones and greet the public courteously; provide excellent customer service and promote a positive work environment; operate a variety of office equipment including a computer and applicable software; prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under various time constraints; perform clerical duties such as filing, word processing, duplicating and maintaining routine records with accuracy.
KNOWLEDGE of the operation of office machines including computer equipment and specified software; modern office practices and procedures, alpha and numeric filing systems; basic record-keeping techniques; basic financial record-keeping techniques; correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
ABILITY to type at a speed of 45 words per minute from clear copy; perform clerical duties to relieve supervisor of routine detail; answer phones and greet the public courteously; problem solve, organize, and communicate with others; provide excellent customer service and promote a positive work environment; learn and interpret rules, regulations, and instructions; understand and work within scope of authority; handle multiple projects with deadlines in an accurate manner; maintain confidentiality and use discretion; follow oral and written directions; set priorities; establish and maintain effective working relationships; work as part of a team; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 60% sitting, 10% walking, and 30% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
Typing certificate providing proof of ability to type 45 WPM
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 24 11/27/07