Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.334
NUTRITION SERVICES ASSISTANT I
The Nutrition Services Assistant I prepares and distributes food items for consumption by students and school personnel and maintains facilities in a sanitary condition and complying with mandated health requirements.
• Inspects food items and/or supplies received.
• Cleans utensils, equipment, and the storage, food preparation, serving, and eating areas.
• Arranges food and beverage items (e.g. placing in steam tables, displaying, filling racks, etc.).
• Responds to inquiries of students, staff, and the public.
• Serves one or more items of food.
• Stocks food, condiments, and supplies.
• Collects payments for food items from students and/or staff (e.g. cash, meal tickets, etc.).
• Assists with physical inventories.
• Records meal counts.
• Monitors students in the lunchroom/cafeteria.
• Prepares food and beverage items for consumption at site or for transporting to other locations.
• Tests prepared food for flavor, appearance and temperature.
• Transports food and supplies to other locations (e.g. classrooms on the school site, off-site, etc.).
• Reconciles transactions (e.g. counting receipts, completing documentation, etc.).
• Reports equipment malfunctions.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
Completion of formal or informal education sufficient to assure the ability to read and write at the level required for successful job performance.
SKILLS to prepare and set-up food for service to students; serve food to students according to established procedures; operate standard kitchen equipment, appliances and utensils; add and subtract accurately and quickly; prepare and maintain accurate records; utilize industrial grade food service equipment; and use pertinent software applications.
KNOWLEDGE of methods of quantity cooking; health standards and hazards; food safe handling procedures; proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies; sanitation and safety practices related to cooking and serving food; standard kitchen equipment, utensils and measurements; basic inventory skills; proper lifting techniques.
ABILITY to communicate, be understood, give and carry out instructions spoken in English; keep simple written and numerical records; adapt to changing work locations (rover); setting priorities; work with children; establish and maintain effective working relationships and work as part of a team; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 5% sitting, 25% walking, and 70% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
Food Handler’s Certificate issued by the County Health Department, or equivalent (post hire)
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Pre-placement Physical Exam
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 11 11/27/07