Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.316
CAREER GUIDANCE SPECIALIST
The Career Guidance Specialist provides students with information on career and/or post high school educational opportunities; administers and interprets career assessment tools; plans on-site presentations by college and/or career representatives and manages ongoing department programs.
• Assists students with information related to financial aid, college materials, applications, on line registration, scholarships, etc..
• Conducts classroom presentations, after school workshops and presentations.
• Coordinates on-campus site visits by college and university recruiters, including “Career Day”.
• Directs student workers and volunteers.
• Maintains a wide variety of college and career-related materials (e.g. inventory of college catalogues, applications and web site locations, etc.).
• Monitors student activities in the Career Center.
• Participates in a variety of meetings (e.g. university/college conferences, class visits, community service group meetings, etc.).
• Performs a variety of clerical activities (e.g. copying, filing, collating, answering phones, etc.).
• Prepares a variety of records and documents (e.g. individual awards, invitations, event programs, bulletins, reports, etc.).
• Researches educational and/or career opportunities.
• Solicits information and/or materials from colleges and other organizations (e.g. college, trade/technical schools, college videos, etc.).
• Schedules career and/or vocational assessments of students' interests and abilities.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and one year of experience working with students provide career, trade, or college guidance.
SKILLS to provide assistance and information to students in a variety of academic and career related matters; develop and organize the student registration process; perform clerical duties related to assigned activities; prepare mathematical computations accurately; prepare and present information.
KNOWLEDGE of methods, procedures and planning strategies pertaining to student careers and academics; academic subject matter, program options and schedules common to high school; college admissions processes, requirements and application procedures; college and university financial aid programs; district registration, scheduling, proficiency and graduation requirements; district curricular offerings; modern office practices, procedures and equipment; techniques used in dealing with people in a counseling relationship; applicable state and federal laws, district policies, procedures and other regulations governing student educational programs, student attendance, and confidential records.
ABILITY to type 45 words per minute from clear copy; read, understand and use technical, procedural and instructional material; operate a computer and a variety of related software; adapt to changing work priorities (flexible schedule); communicate with diverse groups; establish and meet deadlines and schedules; set priorities; work as part of a team; work with constant and sustained interruptions; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 25% sitting, 15% walking, and 60% standing. The job is performed under some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
Typing certificate providing proof of ability to type 45 WPM
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 21 11/27/07