Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4219.310
BEHAVIOR INTERVENTION AIDE
The Behavior Intervention Aide aadministers Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) to identified special education students; attends student progress meetings; develops and maintain treatment logs; performs a variety of clerical and supportive tasks for certificated instructional personnel; learns and applies individual instructional procedures; oversees students with special learning needs. This position is also responsible for administering required specialized physical health care procedures on students as directed by physicians’ orders and monitored by the School Nurse.
• Participate in Applied Behavior Analysis training inservices.
• Administers one-to-one Applied Behavior Analysis to students in a school and/or home setting.
• Confers with instructional personnel and provides input regarding student progress.
• Collects data and records anecdotal student progress notes, maintains and organizes program notebooks, and implements program modifications.
• Administers drills, reviews data with supervisor, and reports concerns.
• Assists instructional personnel and parents with behavior management of students.
• Assists instructional personnel with the development of learning materials and reinforcement strategies according to the student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP).
• Administers first aide and medical/hygiene assistance Assist students with toileting needs including but not limited to: toileting, diapering and/or catheterizations.
• Maintains classroom equipment and students’ files/records.
• Monitors students, classroom and/or playground activities.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Two years of experience working with students of various age levels with special needs or any combination of training and experience that could provide the desired knowledge and abilities is desired. Completion of Applied Behavior Analysis (or Discrete Trial Training) is required. Experience in administering Applied Behavior Analysis (or Discrete Trial Training) is preferred.
SKILLS to reinforce concepts and instruction to individual or small groups of students as directed by the teacher; administer Applied Behavior Analysis to students; assess student progress; administer drills and a variety of assessment tools; maintain complex records and files; provide support and training to parents.
KNOWLEDGE of general needs and behavior of children diagnosed with autism; principles of child development and isntructional processes; basic instructional methods and techniques; motivational techniques; correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary; safe and sanitary practices in classroom and playground activities; classroom procedures and appropriate student conduct; problens and concerns of students with special needs.
ABILITY to administer First Aid/CPR; apply assessment instructions, curriculum and relevant policies; maintain confidentiality of student records; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships; understand be sensitive to and respect the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disabilities and sexual orientation of students, faculty, and staff; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: heavy lifting (up to 100 pounds), carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 50% sitting, 30% walking, and 20% standing. The job is performed under some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
First Aid/CPR Certification
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Pre-placement Physical Exam
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 19 11/27/07