Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.408
The Senior Secretary provides administrative support to the Assistant Principal and staff; conveys information regarding school functions and procedures; ensures compliance with site's financial, legal and administrative requirements; and supports office activities.
• Compiles data from a wide variety of sources (e.g. payroll, attendance, supply requests, calendar entries, etc.).
• Coordinates a wide variety of programs and/or activities (e.g. site meetings, travel requests, reimbursements, class lists, security codes, in-services, etc.).
• Maintains a wide variety of documents, files and records (manual and computer) (e.g. administrative records, building keys, office procedures, forms, building personnel records, student files, etc.).
• Prepares a wide variety of reports and written materials (e.g. budgets, memos, letters, handbooks, discipline reports, etc.).
• Processes a variety of documents and materials (e.g. registering and transferring students, payroll, substitute time sheets, daily attendance, work orders, etc. as assigned).
• Monitors account balances and financial transactions (e.g. general fund school budget, account expenditures, purchase order documentation, petty cash, etc.) and maintains accurate records in compliance with accounting and record keeping practices.
• Responds to inquiries from a variety of internal and external parties by phone, letter and/or in person (e.g. staff, parents, students, public agencies, etc.), provides information, facilitates communication among parties, and schedules appointments and meetings.
• Supports assigned administrative personnel and provides assistance with their administrative functions.
• Maintains inventories of supplies and materials (e.g. all instructional supplies, office supplies, etc.).
• Diffuses potentially hazardous situations within the school site and takes appropriate action for resolution.
• Assists other personnel as may be assigned.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and good record of background and experience, including three years of office, public contact, or secretarial work at a responsible level.
SKILLS to perform responsible secretarial work involving the use of independent judgment and initiative; establish and maintain a variety of filing systems; write reports based on data collection; compose correspondence and written materials independently or from oral instructions; use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation; prepare correspondence and flyers; research and collect information; operate a variety of office equipment including pertinent software applications; perform mathematical calculations; prepare and maintain accurate records; respond appropriately to emergencies; maintain a school event calendar; prepare clear, concise and accurate reports, correspondence, and other written materials.
KNOWLEDGE of principles and procedures of record keeping basic principles and techniques used in public relations; modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computer equipment; principles of public relations and intepersonal relationships; filing systems; records management; school office practices, procedures and equipment; word processing methods, techniques, and related software programs; financial record-keeping and report preparation techniques; budgeting practices regarding monitoring and control; methods of collecting and organizing data and information; business letter and report writing techniques.
ABILITY to type 45 words per minute from clear copy; adapt to changing work priorities; be attentive to detail; demonstrate tact and courtesy; adapt to changing work priorities; communicate with diverse groups including those with varying levels of education; work independently with little or no direction; maintain confidentiality and use discretion; set priorities for self and others; meet deadlines and schedules; work as part of a team; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 60% sitting, 10% walking, and 30% standing. The job is performed under some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
Typing certificate providing proof of ability to type 45 WPM
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.