Job Description / Essential Elements:
FAME Public Charter School
FAME Employment Announcement: Elementary School Teacher (K-5)
FAME is a not-for-profit charter school organization. FAME’s educational program is an innovative small school’s program with a focus on world language and culture. We currently seeking Elementary Teachers (K-5) applicants for the 2009-2010 school year at our Fremont and San Leandro Campuses.
We are seeking a dynamic classroom educator to implement a multicultural curriculum designed to meet the needs of both native and non-native English speakers. FAME serves an economically, ethnically diverse population.
The goals of the FAME charter are:
1. Rigorous Academic Preparation and College Readiness
2. Bilingualism and multi-cultural literacy
3. Technological Literacy
4. Independent, self-directed learning
Teachers at FAME must provide a high quality, personalized education program for our students in operating their own exemplary classroom while also providing mentorship, guidance and support to other educators at the school site. We are seeking strong collaborative, team players. For more information about the framework of the FAME program please see our website at www.famecharter.org.
Under supervision of the principal, classroom teachers will be certificated staff members who instruct in a full inclusion classroom environment. Teachers will create a positive school culture of high expectation to insure that all students are learning to their fullest potential. They will create a flexible program and classroom environment favorable to learning and personal growth; establish effective rapport with students; and motivate students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical and social growth. Using the California Content Standards, FAME classroom teachers will engage in the following activities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Engage and supports all students in learning
Plans instruction and designs learning experiences for all students
Create and maintains effective environments for student learning
Assesses student learning
Understands and organizes subject matter for student learning
Continuous development as a professional educator
• Teaches reading, language arts, social studies, mathematics and science, or single subject course matter to students assigned to classroom using school adopted textbooks and materials.
• Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
• Consistently monitors and assesses academic progress of every student using EduSoft Benchmark assessments and a variety of other tools and uses results to differentiate and inform instruction in the classroom.
• Participates in regular staff and grade level collaboration meetings to plan and implement instructional goals, objectives, and method to insure all students are learning.
• Clearly and timely communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss student progress and interpret the school program.
• Teaches good study habits and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
• Indentifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude and learning problems following FAME Response to Intervention and SST protocols.
• Works collaboratively with the special services program to modify curricula as needed for special needs students.
• Maintains complete and accurate student academic and disciplinary records
• Maintains and inventories appropriate levels of textbooks, instructional materials and equipment in the classroom and promptly notifies administration of any deficiencies in materials.
• Maintains a safe and orderly classroom
• Sets an example of intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, self-motivation and self-discipline for students.
• Models competence, honesty, personal responsibility and respect for others in every aspect of the job.
• Provides behavior examples in social, emotional and functional skills and develops and participates in activities that promote positive self-image and cross-cultural understanding.
• Provides supervision to students in the classroom and in such activities as field trips, rest time, registration, attendance, playground, meal service and student arrivals and departures.
• Creates and effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers.
• Operate photocopy and audio-visual equipment, type or word-processes basic correspondence, lesson plans and materials.
• Participate in curriculum develop and faculty committees and/or the sponsorship of students activities as assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• California Content Standards
• Standardized Assessment Tools
• Standard English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Arithmetic at an elementary school level or secondary as applicable.
• Techniques for interacting with school children in a classroom setting.
• Record keeping practices.
• The use of standard office equipment, including a photocopier.
• Basic classroom computer applications.
• Works efficiently, pleasantly, patiently and unemotionally and displays mature self-control, with school children.
• Ability to communicate effectively with students, school personnel, and parents, and an ability to work cooperatively with others.
• Perform and participate in special areas of instruction, including the use of computers and the library.
• Maintaining accurate records and files.
• Preparing accurate and timely reports.
• Maintaining facilities and equipment in a clean, safe and secure manner.
• Display sensitivity to student cultural backgrounds and individual needs.
• Maintain strict confidentiality.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Professional:
• Bachelor’s Degree and California Teachers Credential
• Meet minimum standards for certification as set forth by the State of California and the California Teachers Commission
• Good evaluations and/or recommendations from professional associates, employers, and/or supervisors.
• A minimum of 2 year of work experience is required.
Status: Certificated/ Full-time/Exempt
Compensation: Competitive Salary with benefits
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to Iyad Wazwaz at