BONITA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
CLASS TITLE: MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELOR
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Specialized Programs, the Mental Health Counselor provides educationally related mental health services to district students referred for assistance with the goal of facilitating and promoting appropriate behavioral health and personal growth. The Mental Health Counselor identifies the educationally related behavioral and mental health needs of students and develops counseling goals and objectives for implementation through an individual education program.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB DUTIES:
Provides counseling services for students through individual, group, family counseling, and parent training services
- Completes required documentation for students including records, reports, case histories and Medi-Cal bill back
- Develops and maintains behavioral health programs including counseling goals to meet student needs as appropriate
- Conducts interviews, assessments, develops individual counseling plans. Attends IEP meetings
- Refers students and families to other public/private community agencies as appropriate
- Assists with the development of the District’s Mental Health Programs
- Performs related duties as required
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Counseling methods appropriate to meeting the needs of students and their families; agencies and resources available to assist children; federal and state laws concerning family-rights and behavioral and mental health services.
Identify the educationally-related behavioral and mental health needs of students; work as part of a multidisciplinary educational support team, develop and implement appropriate educationally-related behavioral and mental health goals and services; work independently; communicate effectively in oral and written form; maintain accurate records; meet established time frames; establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work. Provide educationally-related behavioral and mental health services to students and their families; conduct individual, group and family counseling sessions.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential
- Experience in Medi-Cal billing desired
- Experience in the behavioral health plan process desired
- Valid California Board of Behavioral Sciences Licensure(BBS) desired
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist or Licensed Clinical Social Worker desired
- Experience working with a Special Education Local Plan Area or school district desired
- Valid California driver’s license
- Own reliable transportation and verification of insurance coverage
Physical abilities include sitting for extended periods. Talking/hearing, and near and far visual acuity/depth perception/color vision/field of vision. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.