Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4219.323
ENERGY MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST
The Energy Management Specialist maintains various energy management systems i.e. heating, air conditioning, refrigeration, etc.; identifies repair/replacement needs necessary to maintain equipment and systems; provides appropriate documentation required by other personnel and for conforming to regulations; monitors and programs energy systems; provides orientation to personnel in the operation of energy management systems; and ensures adequate materials are available to complete assignments in a timely manner.
• Diagnoses problems and/or failures in heating/air conditioning/refrigeration systems, and identifies repair and replacement needs necessary to maintain equipment and systems.
• Installs heating/air conditioning/refrigeration equipment and systems.
• Monitors utility billings and recommends methods to contain utility costs.
• Orders supplies, equipment and tools.
• Orients school personnel on the proper uses of the equipment.
• Programs energy management system computers.
• Prepares written materials (e.g. work orders, repair logs, reports, graphs, etc.).
• Repairs heating/air conditioning systems and components.
• Responds to emergency situations (e.g. heating, air conditioning and/or refrigeration systems) and resolves immediate safety concerns.
• Transports various items (e.g. equipment, supplies, etc.) to various job sites.
• Participates in long and short-range planning and makes recommends regarding replacement or installation of energy systems for new construction and/or remodels.
• Collaborates with utility companies to compare pricing structure, etc.
• Performs the functions of the Air Conditioning Mechanic to provide coverage as necessary.
• Researches a variety of topics related to energy management systems.
• Maintains manual and electronic documents, files and records.
• Assists other personnel as may be required.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination equivalent to: Two years of experience as a journeyman air conditioning and refrigeration mechanic in both central and room systems, and two years of experience programming and maintaining energy control devices.
SKILLS to perform energy audits; analyze energy and water consumption data; prepare clear and concise reports and make recommendation; operate a computer and related software; compile statistical data; perform mathematical calculations used in measurement and in estimates of supplies and materials; work from blueprints, shop drawings, specifications and sketches.
KNOWLEDGE of objectives and organization of an energy management program; principles of conducting building energy audits; operations and structure of energy systems; basic techniques of data collection, analysis, graphic presentation and report preparation; office equipment, computer usage and related equipment; pertinent codes, policies, regulations and/or laws.
ABILITY to interpret laws, codes, and regulations and their application to energy conservation; adapt to changing work priorities; communicate with diverse groups; meet deadlines and schedules; work as part of a team; drive a motor vehicle to various sites to perform job duties; observe safety precautions and procedures; maintain a work pace appropriate to a given workload; establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with students, fellow employees, teachers, and administrators; understand, be sensitive to and respect the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disabilities and sexual orientation of students, teachers, administrators and staff; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; frequent climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 60% sitting, 20% walking, and 20% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and some hazardous conditions.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability
EPA Freon Handling Certificate
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Pre-placement Physical Exam
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, local 911 Maintenance & Operations Unit, and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 1 26 1/22/08