Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.347
HEAD CUSTODIAN III
The Head Custodian III maintains an attractive, sanitary and safe facility for students, staff and public; provides equipment and furniture arrangements for meetings, classroom activities and events; coordinates and directs the work of custodial staff at high school; and minimizes property damage, loss and liability exposure.
• Arranges furnishings and equipment (e.g. assembly, meetings, cafeteria for lunch, removing and moving furniture, etc.).
• Cleans assigned facilities (e.g. cafeteria, classrooms, offices, restrooms, sidewalks, grounds, etc.).
• Delivers various items (e.g. supplies, furniture, audio visual equipment, boxes, etc.).
• Evaluates situations (e.g. involving staff, students, parents, the public, etc.).
• Inspects facilities.
• Maintains supplies and equipment (e.g. cleaning solutions, paper products, vacuum, mops, etc.).
• Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. facility damage, alarms, graffiti, unauthorized individual, animal, sick student, etc.).
• Secures facilities and grounds.
• Prepares facility for daily operations (e.g. opening gates, raising flags, unlocks doors, turn off alarms, etc.).
• Performs preventative maintenance and/or repairs/replacements (e.g. light bulbs, unclogs drains, cleaning grease traps, washing walls, spotting floor surfaces, etc.).
• Prepares various reports (e.g. requisitions, safety inspections, work orders, inventory records, time sheets, etc.).
• Supervises assigned custodial personnel (e.g. coordinate schedules, provide training, participates in evaluation, etc.).
• Assists other personnel as may be required.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
Completion of formal or informal education to assure ability to read and write at the level required for successful job performance and four years of responsible experience in the custodial or building maintenance trades.
SKILLS to operate equipment and materials used in industrial maintenance; adhere to safety practices; prepare and maintain accurate records; estimate time and material needs for major custodial projects; order and maintain custodial supplies and equipment; perform minor repairs to facilities and equipment; use and instruct others in the proper usage of cleaning equipment and material; train and instruct others in the performance of their custodial duties.
KNOWLEDGE of general principles of supervision and training; methods of industrial cleaning including floor and carpet; basic tools for minor repairs; safety practices and procedures; proper lifting techniques; recordkeeping techniques; requirements of maintaining school buildings in a safe, clean and orderly condition; basic fire, safety and security regulations for school facilities.
ABILITY to train, supervise and provide input on the performance of others; communicate effectively orally and in writing in English; read, interpret, and apply rules and procedures; keep detailed written and numerical records; create an atmosphere for employee productivity; adapt to changing work locations; set priorities; work with children and teens; establish and maintain effective working relationships and work as part of a team; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 5% sitting, 70% walking, and 25% standing. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations and some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Pre-placement Physical Exam
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 28 11/27/07