Job Description / Essential Elements:
MIDDLE SCHOOL SECRETARY
Under direction, organizes, coordinates, schedules, performs and oversees office functions involving complex and diverse activities; serves as secretary to the Principal or assigned administrator, coordinating communication between administrators, District and site personnel, parents, students and the general public.
Essential Job Functions:
• Assists administrative personnel, the community, outside agencies, etc. for the purpose of providing support and backup for their assignments; coordinating activities; and, repair and maintenance of equipment.
• Composes materials and documents (e.g. letters, memos, fliers, newsletters, calendars, etc.) for the purpose of communicating information to school and district personnel, the public, state officials, etc.
• Evaluates situations involving staff, students, parents, the public, etc. for the purpose of taking appropriate action and/or directing to appropriate personnel.
• Handles and reconciles funds (e.g. petty cash, abatements, food service funds, middle school ASB funds etc.) for the purpose of recording and reconciling expenses; and ensuring compliance with district financial and legal requirements.
• Maintains files and records (e.g. personnel files, confidential files, staff attendance, site budget, site inventory, key control, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring accuracy and availability of required information.
• Monitors and performs radio communications, students and special needs, requisitions & payments, attendance of staff and substitutes for the purpose of ensuring efficiency of office and compliance with appropriate requirements; and, providing direction and taking appropriate action as may be required.
• Oversees staff for the purpose of providing orientation to job assignments and assuring accuracy.
• Processes materials, documents and reports (e.g. master schedule, mail, agendas, requisitions, conference requests, supply distribution, employee evaluations, student registrations, health records and cumulative files, etc.) for the purpose of disseminating to appropriate parties and ensuring documentation and accuracy of required information.
• Communicates with administrative staff, department chairpersons and other appropriate staff members for the purpose of maintaining an efficient and safe operation of the campus and instructional program
• Responds to inquiries of staff, public and/or students for the purpose of providing information and/or direction.
• Supports assigned administrative personnel for the purpose of assisting them with their job functions of maintaining overall site operations.
Other Job Functions:
• Administers first aid and assists with medication for the purpose of meeting health care needs in the absence of school health clerk
• Attends meetings as needed for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
Essential Job Requirements - Qualifications:
• Skills, Knowledge and/or Abilities Required: Ability to operate standard office equipment. Ability to utilize pertinent software applications. Ability to perform standard clerical and secretarial procedures. Ability to perform standard bookkeeping/accounting procedures. Ability to communicate with young adolescents, and persons of varied cultural or educational backgrounds. Ability to perform basic first aid and health care. Ability to plan and manage projects and make administrative decisions. Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records. Bilingual desirable.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements below are necessary to perform the essential functions. Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable a person with a disability to perform these functions.
• Work environment is a typical indoor office setting. Requires willingness and ability to work effectively and move about in an office.
• Physical, mental and emotional stamina to work up to an eight-hour shift under sometimes stressful conditions, with frequent distractions and interruptions and deal with angry/upset people, including adolescents, in a calm and professional manner.
• Sufficient hand/eye coordination and manual dexterity to use a wide variety of office equipment, to keyboard at a rate sufficient to perform the duties of the job, and to write, file, maintain records and prepare reports.
• Sufficient visual acuity to see and read small print.
• Sufficient hearing to conduct in-person and telephone conversations.
• Ability to speak in an understandable voice with sufficient volume to be heard in normal conversational distance, on the telephone and in addressing groups.
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time, up to an eight-hour shift (with the exception of breaks and lunch).
• Sufficient mobility to bend, stoop, push/pull, stand and walk on an occasional basis to file, move equipment or supplies or take work from one location to another.
• Ability to lift up to 20 pounds on an intermittent basis.
Training & Education Required: High School graduate or equivalent and four (4) years increasingly responsible clerical and/or secretarial experience; OR, six (6) years increasingly responsible clerical and/or secretarial experience.
Employment Category: Classified Bargaining Unit