Job Description / Essential Elements:
Placer County Office of Education
360 Nevada Street
Auburn, CA 95603
A Maintenance Custodian is responsible to the County Superintendent and works under the direct supervision of the assigned manager(s). The Maintenance Custodian performs a variety of cleaning and custodial work in schools, offices, buildings and other facilities. Performs routine grounds keeping work and performs basic building maintenance assignments.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned as required:
• Sweeps, mops, waxes and scrubs floors.
• Dusts, waxes, washes and polishes furniture and woodwork.
• Empties and cleans waste receptacles.
• Cleans restrooms and replenishes sanitary supplies.
• Sweeps sidewalks and recreation areas, and performs light grounds keeping duties as necessary.
• Moves and arranges furniture and equipment; performs room setups and teardowns for meetings and events.
• Cleans fountains and polishes metal work.
• Replaces light bulbs and ballasts.
• Helps to maintain building security, which includes turning out lights and locking doors and windows.
• Parks County vehicles, checks mileage usage, repairs flat tires.
• Performs basic maintenance work on buildings and instructional equipment, including noncomplex electrical, plumbing, carpentry, painting and mechanical repairs.
• Operates and performs basic maintenance on power cleaning equipment.
• Operates hand and power tools.
• Transports and delivers materials and equipment between various locations.
• Orders and maintains custodial supplies.
• Lifts and carries objects for students and staff; performs deliveries as necessary.
• Successful candidate must provide proof of employment eligibility and verification of legal right to work in the United States in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Any combination of training and experience, which would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities, is qualifying. A typical way to obtain knowledge and abilities would be: two (2) years of responsible experience in custodial and ground keeping work.
MAINTENANCE CUSTODIAN /PAGE 2
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of cleaning methods, materials and equipment used in custodial work.
• Knowledge of methods and practices of building security.
• Knowledge of grounds keeping methods, equipment and procedures.
• Basic knowledge of building maintenance methods, tools and equipment.
• Ability to maintain assigned areas and buildings in a clean and orderly condition.
• Ability to perform grounds keeping work.
• Ability to perform basic building maintenance work and assignments.
• Ability to operate custodial and cleaning equipment.
• Ability to use hand and power tools.
• Ability to perform physical labor.
• Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
• Applicants may be tested.
Certificates & Licenses:
• Must possess a valid California driver’s license issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles.
• Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance
• TB Clearance
• Work is performed in indoor, outdoor, and equipment room environments; exposure to dust, oils, and cleaning chemicals; may work on ladders or scaffolding; may work with exposure to moisture, some exposure to child and other diseases in a school environment; regular contact with staff and the public.
• Facility to stand and walk for extended periods.
• Facility to frequently stoop, kneel, bend and crouch.
• Facility to regularly reach overhand.
• Stamina to perform physical labor.
• Normal manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination required to operate power and motorized equipment.
• Facility to lift and move objects up to 50 pounds.
• Facility to see and read printed matter with or without visual aids.
• Facility to speak and hear at normal room levels.
• Facility to use telephone and office equipment.
• Facility to drive a car.
Note: This list of essential functions and physical requirements is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
MAINTENANCE CUSTODIAN /PAGE 3
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Employee Group: Classified
Salary Grade: 22.5
Reviewed and Approved:
Supervisor: ______________________________ Date: ____________________
Human Resources: ________________________ Date: ____________________