Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.363
LIBRARY TECHNICIAN (MIDDLE/HIGH)
The Library Technician (Middle and High Schools) maintains the library collections at school sites; identifies age appropriate resources for students and teachers utilizing library resources; selects appropriate items in support of classroom instruction; and performs clerical functions related to collection, processing, circulation, maintenance, and inventory of library materials and/or textbooks.
• Assists teachers, students and administrators to identify resource materials for use in classroom and/or class assignments.
• Responds to inquiries of students, staff, parents (e.g. availability of books, finding appropriate reference documents, status of overdue fines, etc.).
• Oversees student aides and/or volunteers.
• Processes library books, periodicals, software and related media materials (e.g. logging into master files; barcoding, shelving, producing required reports, etc. ).
• Maintains materials inventory (e.g. library books, library hardware/software, media equipment and related instructional materials, etc.).
• Monitors student activities.
• Evaluates books and/or periodicals for retention within collection (e.g. repairing damaged books, recommending retirement of books and/or periodicals).
• Processes new student library cards, notices of missing, damaged, or overdue books, media and materials.
• Prepares computerized and manual reports (e.g. collection statistics, scheduling reports/requests, renewal information, overdue lists, textbook orders, fines, costs, etc.).
• Performs circulation activities (e.g. item check-in and check-out, prepare circulation count, lists of overdue items).
• Assists other personnel, as may be required.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training, which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
Graduation from High School and two years of clerical experience in a school or public library supplemented by college level courses and library procedures.
SKILLS to plan, coordinate and arrange library resources and activities; assist students in the use of library resources and references; assist students in selecting appropriate books for their level of achievement; use library catalogs, computer searches, and other reference materials; maintain files and keep records manually and electronically; work with numerical and/or alphabetical filing systems; perform mathematical computations accurately to maintain records and complete reports; operate a computer and use related software.
KNOWLEDGE of library methods, procedures, terminology and related technology; school library practices and techniques; library media terminology and processes; operation of library media equipment; biblographic sources; standard reference materials; catalog card preparation, formats, and filing rules; office practices and procedures; standard library library reference sources; applicable software programs.
ABILITY to type at a speed of 45 words per minute; maintain current knowledge of technological advances in the field; work independently with little direction and provide work direction to students; set priorities; establish and maintain effective working relationships; work as part of a team; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 20% sitting, 20% walking, and 60% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
Typing certificate providing proof of ability to type 45 WPM
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Pre-placement Physical Exam
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 21 11/27/07