Guajome Park Academy, Inc.
CLASSIFIED JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE OF POSITION: Child Care Worker
Guajome Extended School Services
A. Primary Function: Under general supervision, assist other extended school services staff in the performance of a variety of play, crafts, special projects, and game activities; perform child care support and self-help follow-up activities; and perform other duties as required.
B. Directly Responsible To: Administrator of Learning Support
C. Status: Non-exempt
D. Assigned Responsibilities:
1. Assist in the planning of extended school services activities following a prescribed plan developed in cooperation with other extended school services staff.
2. Assist in evaluating and determining the skill and maturity levels of participants in determining the appropriateness of play, crafts, and game activities.
3. Instruct groups of children in games and play activities.
4. Perform a variety of craft and special project activities.
5. Issue and collect equipment, craft supplies, special project materials, and game equipment.
6. Aid in maintaining appropriate standards of behavior.
7. Assist in the set-up and arrangement of materials, supplies, and equipment for games and craft activities.
8. Participate in the preparation and serving of snacks and cleaning the preparation area.
9. Input data in computer and extract student and fee collection reports.
10. Perform a variety of cleaning and housekeeping functions in maintaining a clean, safe and sanitary facility.
11. Inspect and review game activity areas and equipment to ensure that the play and game activities are conducted in a safe and non-hazardous environment.
12. Maintain records concerning participation in the program.
13. Administer routine first aid and seek assistance for serious illness or injury situations.
14. Assist in feeding and self-help skill development of the participants.
15. Perform related duties as assigned.
E. Knowledge and Abilities:
- Basic concepts of child behavior characteristics and behavior management strategies and techniques.
- Behavior management strategies and techniques.
- Play, crafts, and game activities.
- Computer hardware and application software.
- Equipment, materials, and supplies used in the extended school services program.
- Demonstrate an empathetic, patient, and understanding attitude with various levels of participants.
- Effectively follow up with program plans.
- Communicate satisfactorily in oral and written form.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Ability to exert 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Sit for portions of time; walk or stand for brief periods of time.
- Perceive the nature of sound, near and far vision, depth perception, provide oral information, and possess manual dexterity to operate business related equipment and to handle and work with various materials and objects.
- Have full range of motion in the upper extremities.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
F. Education and Experience:
Equivalent to the completion of twelfth grade, supplemented by twelve (12) units at the Community College level in Early Childhood Education (may obtain with 12 months of employment) and course work in Preventative Health.
Six (6) months of paid experience working in a child care program.
G. Certificate and License Requirement
Possession of a valid first aid certificate issued by a recognized agency.
Possession of CPR training certificate.