Job Description / Essential Elements:
Under the direction of the school principal, the Administrative School Secretary provides secretarial office support service to school administration and staff, relieving the principal of administrative detail and performing technical duties, to assist in coordinating a broad range of functions throughout the school. Facilitates a continual flow of contacts with pupils, teachers, administrators and public, assigns and reviews the work of school office staff and volunteers at the direction of the school principal, assists in establishing the proper atmosphere for the school and District, and performs other related tasks as required.
Example of Duties
1. Serves as a confidential secretary to the principal, assistant principal, and full time lead teacher.
2. Performs and organizes a wide variety of secretarial and clerical duties for administrative personnel, teachers and support staff in an efficient manner.
3. Acts as a liaison for school administration, staff, students, parents, other District schools, District office personnel, and community.
4. Communicates with the public, employing discretion and independent judgement, directing individuals to the correct person and efficiently resolving their concerns.
5. Communicates and explains rules and regulations to staff, students, general community and maintains ready communication with other agencies.
6. Independently composes a variety of materials, such as letters memorandums, bulletins, requisitions, claims, reports, and statistical data from rough drafts, or oral instructions.
7. Receives and disseminates critical disaster information in a calm, and professional manner; responsible for manning command central in a disaster.
Page 1 of 3
8. Tracks and complies financial data and budget information for Principal and/or other departments.
9. Daily verifies, and records payroll information for all employees and substitutes, and bimonthly audits and prepares payroll for submission to District.
10. Coordinates the process of purchasing to include; processing of requisitions, receipt, verification and distribution of materials.
11. Orients and directs substitute teachers and substitute classified personnel.
12. Prepares requisitions of materials and work orders for maintenance of buildings, grounds, and school equipment.
13. Maintains and coordinates multiple calendars to include: school administrator(s), school facility events, site, master and school events.
14. Responsible for the assigning and inventory of room cabinet keys.
15. Administers first aid and medication in the absence of health clerk and notifies proper authorities in case of serious illness or accident.
16. May attend meetings and conferences and act as recorder, preparing reports for actions taken and assignments made.
17. May assist parent organization with typing, duplication and distribution of bulletins and other materials.
1. Work efficiently and with a service?oriented attitude under stressful situations with constant interruption.
2. Change and adapt office procedure, and details in concert with the needs and requirement of the school and District.
3. Understand and apply complex policies and rules.
1. Maintain cooperative-working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
2. Type at a net corrected speed of 55 words per minute.
Administrative School Secretary
Page 2 of 3
Training and Experience
Equivalent to a high school diploma, supplemented by or including courses in office organization or secretary skills, or any combination of training and/or experience that provide the desired knowledge and abilities. Prior service demonstrating responsible office experience, preferably in a school district.
Some positions may require a valid California Driver's License and the ability to qualify for District vehicle insurance coverage; first aid certificate.
Job Description Adopted: June 18, 1990
Job Description Revised: May 02, 1994