COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
invites applications for the position of:
Support Services Associate - DSPS
SALARY: $42,464.00 - $51,770.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 06/14/13
CLOSING DATE: 06/27/13 11:59 PM
Under general supervision of the assigned supervisor, performs a variety of moderate to complex levels of specialized clerical tasks and functions associated with providing support services to students with disabilities, coordinating testing and note-taking accommodations, testing schedules, testing facilities, and proctoring student exams to ensure integrity of testing environment and materials. This position requires the incumbent to possess the ability to exercise independent judgment with minimal supervision.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
a) Perform complex clerical and secretarial work involving the use of considerable independent judgment.
b) Develop and maintain case folders for a large number of students with disabilities including gathering appropriate medical verifications and documentation to meet Title 5 Regulations.
c) Prepare and generate requests and materials including all department correspondence such as test and note-taking accommodations to faculty, memos, letters, agendas and reports.
d) Coordinate recommended accommodations for students with disabilities.
e) Data entry of services provided to students with disabilities utilizing the DSPS monitoring system and campus database.
f) Train student assistants and short-term, hourly personnel to provide note-taking services, read and/or scribe classroom materials and tests, and to serve as test proctors.
g) Process requests to provide necessary adapted furniture and specialized equipment to facilitate access to buildings or classes throughout the campus for students with disabilities, maintain records of loaned equipment.
h) Schedules and proctors academic course exams, maintains academic integrity of the testing process.
i) Schedule appointments, meetings and special events.
j) Maintain and type logs, rosters, and lists.
k) Interpret and explain departmental and college policies and procedures as well as compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Title 5 Regulations. Provide information and answer questions regarding services to students, staff, faculty, and the public.
l) Analyze a variety of source materials requiring a thorough familiarity with policies, procedures, terminology and various applicable laws in order to obtain the necessary data.
m) Maintain confidentiality in compliance with both Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Title 5 regarding students with disabilities using services through the DSPS office.
n) Interact, support, and back up other clerical staff, as assigned, in the DSPS office.
o) Performs other related job duties as required.
1. Modern office practices and procedures.
2. Written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate with students, faculty, and other staff.
3. Record keeping and report writing.
4. Principles of organization and time management.
5. Department program structure, organization, development, implementation, and supplemental forms of program support.
6. Support services required by students with a wide range of disability limitation.
7. Federal, State, and local regulations and resources for persons with disabilities.
8. Proper English usage, spelling, vocabulary and grammar.
9. Operation of personal computer software programs including word processing and spreadsheet tools.
10. Proper reception and telephone etiquette.
11. Operate a variety of equipment including, audio-visual, standard office, computers, fax, copy machines, etc.
12. Coordinate the testing and note-taking activities as directed by the DSPS supervisor.
13. Perform independently in an office and instructional setting to provide supplemental services to students with disabilities as directed.
14. Perform clerical and secretarial duties of above average difficulty.
15. Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
16. Meet necessary timelines and handle office and testing room problems as necessary.
17. Work with students of varying educational ability.
18. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
19. Establish and maintain effective and cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
20. Demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Education and Experience:
21. College level coursework as appropriate to the position.
22. Two years of experience in support of specified educational program in the same or similar capacity.
23. Or any combination of education and experience, which would demonstrate possession of the required or equivalent qualifications.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a full time, 12 month per year position. The normal hours of work are to be arranged between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The effective date of employment will be arranged with the supervisor.
PAY PHILOSOPHY: Starting salaries for support staff positions begin at Step-1 of the salary range. Employees hired prior to April 1 of each year will move to the next step on the upcoming July 1. Employees hired on or after April 1 of each year will move to the next step the following July 1. All movement on the salary schedule will occur July 1 of each year for all classified employees.
Applications must be received no later than the posted closing date. There are NO EXCEPTIONS. Electronic applications may be completed by visiting http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cccd/default.cfm?action=jobbulletin&JobID=667029. Once you have completed an electronic application, you may apply to open positions within the Coast Community College District by submitting the application and all other required materials. Required materials differ for each open position and must be complete when submitted for a specific posting. Instructions for completing applications and applying to posted positions are available online or by calling Applicant Processing at (714) 438-4714.
All application materials become the property of the Coast Community College District and will NOT be copied or returned. Information for TDD users is available by calling (714) 438-4755.
Application Requirements: To be considered for employment you must submit a complete application packet. A complete application packet includes:
1. A complete Classified/Management Employment Application.
2. A current resume.
3. A cover letter highlighting your qualifications for the desired position.
4. Answers to Supplemental Questions.
To ensure consistency and fairness to all applicants, please do not submit materials in addition to those requested. Additional materials will not be considered or returned. Be sure to complete all questions and sections of the application. For questions which may not apply, indicate "n/a" (not applicable). If you do not know an answer, please indicate so, but do not leave any space blank.
All applications will be screened under a process of utmost confidentiality by a committee of representatives from the college community (reference Board Policy 050-1-1). Please note: Possession of the minimum qualifications does not ensure an interview.
Any documents that you are unable to attach can be faxed to (714) 782-6065. Faxes must clearly indicate the job you are applying to and your name.
Disability Accommodations: If you require accommodations in the Application or Examination Process, please notify Human Resources by calling (714) 438-4714 OR (714) 438-4713.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
• The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• A detailed list of physical demands and work environment is on file and will be provided upon request.
Coast Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer