Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.336
NUTRITION SERVICES ASSISTANT III
The Nutrition Services Assistant III assists in directing and participating in all phases of kitchen operations; assists in directing food service personnel at assigned school site in performing their functions in a safe and efficient manner; cooks and prepares food items that meet mandated nutritional requirements and/or requests of students and school personnel; maintains facilities in a sanitary condition; and complies with mandated health requirements.
• Monitors students in the lunchroom/cafeteria.
• Prepares food and beverage items for consumption at site or for transport to other locations.
• Reports equipment malfunctions.
• Responds to inquiries of students, staff and the public.
• Serves one or more items of food.
• Stocks food, condiments and supplies.
• Tests prepared food for flavor, appearance and temperature.
• Trains employees and student workers/volunteers and evaluates job performance.
• Transports food and supplies to other locations (e.g. classrooms on the school site, off-site, etc.).
• Collects payments for food items from students and/or staff (e.g. cash, meal tickets, etc.).
• Arranges food and beverage items (e.g. placing in steam tables, displaying, filling racks, etc.).
• Cleans utensils, equipment and the storage, food preparation, serving and eating areas.
• Conducts physical inventories.
• Directs other food service personnel and student workers/volunteers.
• Estimates food preparation amounts and adjusts recipes if required.
• Inspects food items and/or supplies received.
• Reconciles transactions (e.g. counting receipts, completing documentation, etc.).
• Performs functions of other position within area of responsibility.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
One year successful experience as a Food Service Assistant II. One year of recent paid experience in the cooking, baking, and serving of large quantities of food.
SKILLS to plan, organize, supervise and participate in the operation of a school kitchen, prepare and set-up food for service to students; supervise the serving of food to students according to established procedures; order and keep inventory supplies; operate standard kitchen equipment, appliances and utensils; add and subtract accurately and quickly; prepare and maintain accurate records; utilize industrial grade food service equipment; and use pertinent software applications.
KNOWLEDGE of general principles of supervision and training; methods of quantity cooking; health standards and hazards; food safe handling procedures; proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies; sanitation and safety practices related to cooking and serving food; standard kitchen equipment, utensils and measurements; basic inventory skills; proper lifting techniques.
ABILITY to communicate, be understood, give and carry out instructions spoken in English; train, supervise and provide input on the performance of others; communicate effectively orally and in writing in English; read, interpret, and apply rules and procedures; keep detailed written and numerical records; create an atmosphere for employee productivity; adapt to changing work locations (rover); set priorities for a variety of staff; work with children; establish and maintain effective working relationships and work as part of a team; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 10% sitting, 20% walking, and 70% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
Food Handler’s Certificate issued by the County Health Department, or equivalent (post hire)
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Pre-placement Physical Exam
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 17 11/27/07