Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.305
ATHLETIC EQUIPMENT CUSTODIAN
The Athletic Equipment Custodian issues, stores, repairs, collects, and cleans athletic equipment and supplies used in the competitive sports program; performs general custodial duties such as locker rooms, public restrooms, visitor/home sides, etc.; and minimizes property damage, loss and liability exposure.
• Arranges athletic supplies and equipment (e.g. sets up bleachers, sports equipment gym, etc.).
• Cleans assigned school facilities (e.g. visitor/home locker rooms, bathrooms, grounds, tennis courts, press box, van, etc.).
• Inspects facilities and grounds.
• Maintains supplies and equipment (e.g. van, lost/found articles, cleaning solutions, paper products, vacuum, mops, etc.).
• Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. facility damage, unauthorized persons, alarms, etc.).
• Distributes/issues athletic uniforms, supplies and equipment (e.g. fits/receives/stores athletic uniforms; fills soap dispensers, towel/toilet paper dispensers, packages, etc.).
• Prepares athletic fields (e.g. plastic field numbers, paints lines, sets up equipment, etc.).
• Inspects clothing and equipment.
• Transports various items (e.g. rental van, trainers & their equipment to and from stadium, handicap individuals from parking lot to stadium; etc.).
• Oversees assigned personnel/students.
• Coordinates with Athletic Director and coaches.
• Maintains uniforms and equipment (e.g. simple repairs, marks equipment, cleans, inventories, etc.).
• Prepares reports (e.g. inventory, misuse of equipment, work orders, record of issuance, etc.).
• Assists other personnel as may be required.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is: one year of experience in custodial work.
SKILLS to operate equipment used in industrial maintenance and maintenance of athletic equipment, uniforms and fields; make minor repairs to athletic uniforms and equipment; assist in monitoring student activities in an assigned athletic facility; issue athlethic and physical education equipment; fit uniforms and equipment properly to assure adequate protection for athletes; adhere to safety practices.
KNOWLEDGE of equipment, materials and supplies used in competitive sports; proper methods of storage of athletic equipment and uniforms; methods of industrial cleaning; health and safety practices and procedures; basic record keeping and inventory methods.
ABILITY to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships; understand, be sensitive to and respect the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disabilities and sexual orientation of students, faculty, and staff; learn, apply and explain applicable district policies, rules and regulations; maintain inventory; maintain physical education and athletic facilities in a clean and safe condition; meet deadlines and schedules; adapt to changing work priorities; display mechanical aptitude; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 5% sitting, 70% walking, and 25% standing. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations and some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Pre-placement Physical Exam
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 23 11/27/07