Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.351
PARAPROFESSIONAL - CLASSROOM
The Paraprofessional - Classroom assists a certificated teacher in the supervision and instruction of individual and/or small groups of students; and provides instructional and clerical support to teacher/s and staff.
• Assists students, individually or in small groups, with lesson assignments (e.g. read stories, listen to students read, providing writing assistance, reinforce English lessons, provide spelling practice, facilitate activities, computer learning programs, etc.).
• Implements instructional programs and lesson plans.
• Monitors individual and/or groups of students in a variety of settings (e.g. classroom, playground, lunch room, library, etc.).
• Maintains classroom equipment, work area, student files/records (e.g. adapting instructional materials, cleaning work area, taking attendance, checking homework, grading papers, lunch counts, emergency cards, audio visual equipment, etc.).
• Performs record keeping and clerical functions (e.g. copying, decorate classroom, collect/distribute supplies, make displays/bulletin boards/phone calls, etc.).
• Promotes good habits in students.
• Modifies classroom work/homework.
• Assists other personnel as may be required.
• Attends meetings and in-service presentations.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
Completion of formal or informal education sufficient to assure the ability to read and write at the level required for successful job performance and some recent experience working with children or youth groups.
SKILLS to follow and carry out written and oral instructions provided by the teacher; tutor individual and/or small groups of students; learn teacher developed behavioral strategies; score teacher generated spelling, reading, and math exams accurately; perform routine clerical work and basic arithmetical calculations; file student information; perform basic algebra and geometry; use basic numerical concepts such as whole numbers, fractions percentages, and other techniques for solving practical problems; use tables, graphs, diagrams, and charts; operate standard office equipment; prepare and maintain accurate records.
KNOWLEDGE of concepts of grammar and punctuation; stages of child development and learning styles; age appropriate activities; classroom procedures and appropriate student conduct; safe practices in classroom and playground activities; health standards and hazards; safety practices and procedures.
ABILITY to communicate with diverse groups; maintain confidentiality and use discretion; exhibit patience and compassion; work with frequent interruptions; learn, expplain and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies, and procedures; maintain a clean, safe and orderly environment; understand and follow oral and written directions; handle emergencies in a calm and effective manner; adapt to changing work locations; set priorities; establish and maintain effective working relationships; work as part of a team; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 50% sitting, 25% walking, and 25% standing. The job is performed under some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
48 college units, or an AA degree, or be able to demonstrate college level skills by passing the No Child Left Behind proficiency test
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 15 11/27/07