TURLOCK UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
JOB CLASSIFICATION TITLE: Custodian/Groundskeeper
DEFINITION: Under general supervision of the Maintenance and Operations supervisor to perform routine cleaning, grounds keeping, and make minor repairs to buildings and equipment, and other related work as required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Perform general custodial functions: sweeping, mopping, waxing, dusting, polishing, vacuuming, disinfecting, shampooing rugs and carpets, washing walls and related areas, emptying and cleaning waste baskets.
2. Moving and rearranging furniture, performing activities such as replacing lights, maintaining equipment related to custodial duties.
3. Report hazardous conditions or fire hazards in assigned work area.
4. Perform general grounds functions: cultivating, watering, weeding, fertilizing, and trimming lawns, shrubs, hedges and trees.
5. Perform routine operations and maintenance of equipment related to groundskeeping; lining and dragging of sports areas and tracks; performs grounds maintenance duties such as patching asphalt, pouring cement, laying pipe, installing sprinklers, repairing fences, painting, marking playgrounds; and may be required to drive a truck or tractor.
6. Perform minor repairs to buildings including but not limited to lights, ballasts, door locks, broken windows, painting, plumbing, and other related work as required.
The physical requirements indicated below are examples of the physical aspects that this position classification must perform in carrying out essential job functions:
• Persons performing service in this position classification will exert 50 pounds of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
• This type of work will involve walking or standing for extended periods.
• Perceiving the nature of sound, near and far vision, depth perception, providing oral information, the manual dexterity to operate custodial and grounds equipment, and handle work with various materials and objects that are important aspects of this job.
• Stooping, squatting, kneeling, overhead reaching and repetitive bending may be involved frequently with this position.
• Persons performing service in this position classification will be exposed to outdoor conditions including, but not limited to, extreme temperature; equipment and objects related to the position and exposure to chemicals and fumes.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
This list of essential functions and physical requirements is not exhaustive.
• Operate equipment according to established safety procedures.
• Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting, pushing and pulling.
• Use provided safety equipment.
• Report any unsafe conditions in work area that are not correctable to supervisor immediately.
• Tools, materials, equipment and standard practices of custodial and grounds keeping work.
• General knowledge of repair
• Use equipment related to custodial and groundskeeper duties.
• Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
• Work cooperatively with those contacted in the scope of the position.
• Possess appropriate California driver’s license issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles if needed by position.
• Minimum of one year of experience in custodial/groundskeeping, or practical or practical experience in a related field.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Fingerprint clearance
• TB clearance
• Pre-employment physical