DEFINITION Under supervision of the Director of Food Services or designee, assemble, prepare and serve menu items for an assigned work station in a school kitchen and cafeteria; maintain daily records of menu items sold and money received. Perform other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONSEducation/Certification/Experience: High school diploma or equivalent.
Licenses and other requirements:Valid Food Handler’s Certificate.
Desired Qualification:Food service experience.
Knowledge of:Methods of quantity food preparation; practices of safety and sanitation; standard kitchen utensils, equipment and appliances; principles of organizing and layout of work; record-keeping techniques; health, safety and sanitation regulations; office practices, procedures and equipment; applicable sections of Federal, State, County laws and District policies, rules and regulations; District organization, operations, policies and objectives; technical aspects in field of specialty; correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Ability to:Assemble, prepare, and serve a variety of food items in large quantities in a timely manner, use methods of safety and sanitation; estimate quantities of food needed; follow a schedule using a production worksheet to monitor daily usage; follow applicable health, safety and sanitation requirements; work efficiently during rush conditions; follow the Hazardous Analysis of Critical Control Points (HACCP) program rules and complete forms; learn and apply District/office operations, policies, and objectives; operate office equipment and current computer software; key accurately; make computations with accuracy; prepare reports; meet schedules and timelines; work independently; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others using tact, patience, and courtesy; work with discretion and maintain confidentiality; exhibit punctuality.
ESSENTIAL & REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES – Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assemble and prepare appropriate quantities of food for an assigned work area. E
- Maintain daily records of menu items prepared and sold. E
- Determine and set up items to be sold at designated food service areas. E
- Assemble, clean and prepare a variety of food side items. E
- Serve meals to students and staff; receive, make change, and count money. E
- Store unused food items according to appropriate state health standards. E
- Operate a variety of kitchen equipment and appliances in a safe manner. E
- Maintain a clean, safe, and sanitized work area; wash dishes and utensils, etc. E
- Assist in overseeing student help; maintain order in the serving lines and cafeteria areas; report misconduct to Security and Management. E
- Operate computerized sale system. E
- Serves as a support for other cafeteria staff. E
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
WORKING CONDITIONS Food preparation in the school environment; includes lifting, bending, pulling, pushing, standing, noise and fumes from equipment or chemicals used to perform assigned duties; subject to constant interruptions; may be exposed to communicable diseases and anti-social behavior; subject to extreme temperatures.