The Afterschool Educator is a part-time position providing academic intervention, homework support and enrichment activities to students as part of a high-quality, personalized afterschool program. The Afterschool Educator is responsible for independently supervising groups of up to 20 students, delivering high-quality instruction, upholding the mission and values of Aspire Public Schools, and working with other members of the afterschool program team to track students’ academic progress and support students social and emotional development.
This position may be responsible for delivering a specialized intervention program requiring knowledge/experience in that specialty.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains a safe and effective environment for academic instruction and/or enrichment activities.
- Effectively manages student classroom behavior to ensure all students are fully engaged in learning.
- Complies with all safety and other regulatory and/or funder requirements.
- Delivers high-quality instruction in assigned academic or enrichment content areas which is developmentally appropriate; differentiates instruction to meet individual student needs.
- Under the guidance of the Afterschool Director or other assigned staff, implements regular assessments and analyzes student performance data to drive lesson planning and monitor student progress.
- Collaborates with other afterschool staff, school day teachers and outside service provides to identify unique student needs, diagnose and address learning challenges, and share information about student progress.
- As needed, provides whole class, small group and individualized instruction to students.
- Creates an environment of high expectations for learning, student behavior and staff professionalism.
- Fosters a program culture of high expectations that includes college preparation for all students.
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and supports, Aspire Public Schools’ mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and code of ethical behavior.
- Collaborates with Aspire team members to shares best practices and improve own and others’ instructional skills, including actively participating in professional development, training and coaching opportunities.
- Supports regular communications with parents/families to engage them in the afterschool program to help support student success.
- Fulfills all administrative requirements, including tracking daily student attendance, in accordance with Aspire procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, Aspire Public Schools mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Ability to effectively implement curricula and program activities.
- Ability to effectively manage classroom activity and promote responsible student behavior and decision-making.
- Knowledge of child and/or youth development concepts and different learning styles; demonstrated enthusiasm for working with young people.
- Ability and willingness to reflect and improve own performance, including developing knowledge of Aspire Instructional Guidelines and participating in Aspire professional development.
- Proficiency in use of computer technology and the internet.
2) Minimum educational level:
- Associate’s degree or 48 units of college credit.
3) Experience required:
- Experience working with children or youth in a school or community-based setting.
- 1+ year as a teacher, teacher intern, or teaching assistant preferred.