A. The Position:
The Elementary Principal ship in the Coachella Valley Unified School District involves the administrative and supervisory responsibility for an elementary school. The primary role is that of instructional leadership within the school. As the instructional leader, the Principal will develop plans and strategies for the improvement and evaluation of the instructional program. The Principal is responsible for the accomplishment of the District's goals and objectives at the school.
B. Supervision Received: Under the immediate direction of the Superintendent
C. Supervision Exercised: All certificated and classified at site and others as assigned
D. Prime Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Have a knowledge of and commitment to contemporary management techniques.
2. Extensive knowledge of elementary curriculum, including highly developed competencies in at least one content area.
3. The ability to provide dynamic instructional leadership and to maintain effective channels of communications within the school and between the school and community.
4. The ability to function as an effective member of a management team.
5. Have a well-developed personal philosophy of education.
6. Understand child growth and development.
7. Knowledge of learning theory and the ability to assist teachers in its application.
8. The skill to assist teachers in individualizing instruction for all pupils.
9. Have the ability to plan, organize, coordinate, manage and evaluate programs within the school.
10. Have the ability to represent the school with responsible, mature judgment, tact and decisiveness.
11. Knowledge of relevant educational research, an understanding of research design and the ability to apply appropriate research design in a school setting.
12. A proven capacity to inspire confidence and maintain professional dignity at all times.
E. Other Duties and Responsibilities:
1. The Principal is directly responsible to the Superintendent for the administration and educational leadership of the school.
2. The Principal functions as a member of the District's leadership team and participates in the deliberations.
Job Description - Elementary Principal
3. The Principal may be assigned some District-wide responsibilities for providing leadership in the development or improvement of specific instructional programs or curriculum.
F. Minimum Qualifications:
1. A valid Administrative Services credential.
2. Master's Degree.
3. Advanced study in the field of elementary education including the areas of administrative, supervision and curriculum development.
4. Successful classroom teaching at several different grade levels; five years experience is preferred.
5. Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish, although not a requirement, is preferred.
G. Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls and to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, and walk. The employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but occasionally loud.
H. Salary: Placement on the Management/Confidential Salary Schedule, Range 27-
11 Months - 210 Days