Functional Area: Technology
Position: Associate Information Specialist
Immediate supervisor: Department Supervisor
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE CLASS:
Under General Supervision and as part of NVUSD’s Data Team, the Information Specialist will use tools to provide District personnel with necessary reports and information, assist end users, and operate data systems.
This individual will be able to use software tools (data bases, spreadsheets, NCS Scan tools, etc.) to manipulate student, financial, personnel, and other administrative data. Under the guidance of the Director of Technology, he or she will provide District departments with printed reports or computer files with selected records sorted and arranged as requested. He or she will also work in conjunction with other Technology Department staff to prepare student testing and evaluation materials, such as pre-slugged test forms, and to process test forms using District scanners.
Examples of Duties:
• Extracts data from structured-data applications, such as Aeries and Escape, to produce reports with records stored and selected as required;
• Combines data from disparate data systems; transforms data content and format;
• Works with the Testing and Evaluation staff and the Curriculum and Instruction departments to produce testing materials and to compile data to be used to analyze test results;
• Maintains a software library of standard student data files that may be used for historical data analysis;
• Provides support to district departments and schools with reporting software (i.e. VisImage, Monarch, etc.);
• Participates in Process Improvement reviews, planning and implementations;
• Assists school offices with problems related to district data systems;
• Assists technicians and engineers with the implementation, configuration and troubleshooting of district data systems;
• Troubleshoots and resolves data-transformation problems; and,
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Minimum of a high school degree with an AA degree in a computer/technology related field a plus;
• Experience working with structured data applications such as Aeries, IDMS, or Escape;
• Experience working with desk-top computer software, such as spread sheets and data bases; and,
• Possession of a valid California license to operate a motor vehicle.
• Microsoft SQL;
• Data transformation and formatting;
• Common office computer software, such as data bases, spread sheets, work processors, desk-top publishers;
• Process Analysis methods and tools;
• Microsoft Access data bases programming;
• Familiarity with Windows and Macintosh operating systems; and,
• Correct English usage.
• Work effectively with all segments of the District's staff and management;
• Understand, analyze, and document business and educational processes.
• Transform data in both content and type;
• Learn and properly use new computer software and software tools;
• Read and understand computer software manuals;
• Understand both written and oral instructions;
• Use computer systems for personal productivity;
• Lift and carry personal computers, printers, and other computer accessories;
• Establish and maintain cooperative working relationship with others;
• Effectively contribute to process improvement;
• Professionally publish and present data in an understandable fashion using presentation software and the web; and,
• Understand and use state data reporting tools.
With or without the use of aids:
• Sufficient vision to read printed materials;
• Sufficient hearing to hear normal and telephone conversations;
• Sufficient capability to speak in an understandable voice with sufficient volume to be heard in normal conversations;
• Sufficient manual dexterity to use telephone and office equipment; and,
• Sufficient strength to perform lifting requirement of specific assignment.
With or without the use of aids: sufficient vision to read printed materials; sufficient hearing to hear normal and telephone conversations; sufficient capability to speak in an understandable voice with sufficient volume to be heard in normal conversations; sufficient manual dexterity to write, use telephone and operate office equipment and sufficient strength to perform lifting requirement of specific assignment.