Job Description / Essential Elements:
LOS ALAMITOS UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Office of the Personnel Commission
CLASS TITLE: BUILDING AND GROUNDS MAINTENANCE WORKER
Under the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor, perform grounds maintenance work and basic building maintenance work.
1. Lay out, install, maintain and repair irrigation systems.
2. Prepare soil, plant trees, grass and shrubs; apply weed and pest control chemicals; pick up paper and perform general grounds cleaning.
3. Operate power mower, sprayer, truck, skiploader, tractor, power saw and hand tools.
4. Mix, pour, spread and finish concrete in the construction of walkways, planters, driveways and walls; make minor repairs to asphalt paving; construct brick walls.
5. Install, maintain and repair playground equipment.
6. Perform basic building maintenance duties such as light furnaces and replace filters switches, outlets and fixtures.
7. Assist in setting up rooms for special events as needed.
8. Perform other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Design and installation of irrigation systems
Tree, shrub and lawn planting and care
Weed and pest control chemicals
Methods, tools and equipment used in concrete finishing and asphalt paving
Basic building maintenance techniques, procedures, methods and materials
Grounds maintenance tools and equipment
Health and safety regulations
Install, maintain and repair irrigation systems
Plant and maintain trees, shrubs and lawns
Apply week and pest control chemicals effectively and safely
Construct items from concrete and brick
Perform basic building maintenance
Understand and follow oral and written directions
Work cooperatively with others
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
Lift objects weighing up to 100 pounds
Work from sketches, drawings and blueprints
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: some high school and two years grounds and building maintenance experience.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid California driver's license
Outdoor environment; lift, carry, push, pull or move up to 100 lbs.; stand, walk, sit, kneel, squat, crawl, stoop, bend, climb; use repetitive twisting/pressure involving wrists/hands; work with arms above shoulder level; repetitive use of hand, arm, shoulder; talk and hear normal conversation; exposed to temperature changes; work in damp or wet areas; frequently have hands in water; close/distance vision and depth perception; may be exposed to airborne particles, strong odors, fumes, chemicals, toxic materials; work around moving vehicles; exposed to minor contagious diseases; have direct contact with students, district staff, site administrators, general public; drive to different district sites; work independently; work with sharp objects, tools, power tools and equipment (e.g. skip loader, tiger mower, trim edger) with noise levels up to 92.6 dB
SALARY RANGE: 68
ADOPTED BY PERSONNEL COMMISSION: May 10, 2001
APPROVED BY BOARD OF EDUCATION: May 29, 2001