Job Description / Essential Elements:
Job Title: CUSTODIAN
Perform general cleaning and custodial functions at an assigned school or district site; perform other related duties as assigned.
Responsible To and Evaluated By: Principal with input from Administrator of Maintenance, Operations, and Transportation, and from Head Custodian.
Positions allocated to this class perform routine assignments independently under the functional supervision of a Head Custodian I or II. Positions in this classification are generally assigned to later shift operations at a school or district site.
Examples of Duties
· Sweep, scrub, mop, wax and polish floors in classrooms, dining areas, restrooms, offices and other similar areas; vacuum, spot clean, and shampoo rugs and carpets; dust furniture, woodwork, and cabinetry
· Operate a variety of cleaning equipment such as vacuums, floor scrubbing and polishing machines
· Wash and scrub walls, restroom fixtures, drinking fountains, windows, and painted surfaces
· Service soap dispensers, towel boxes, food dispensers and similar facilities
· Sweep and hose concrete or blacktop, sidewalks, parkways and playground areas
· Replace lightbulbs and fluorescent tubes
· Lock and unlock doors, gates, windows, and storerooms; raise and lower flags; set alarms; tour buildings and grounds to check for security and damage; report safety, sanitary, fire or other hazards
· Gather and dispose of paper, and debris; empty and wash wastepaper baskets, garbage cans, and other refuse containers
· Move and adjust furniture and equipment; assist in setting up meeting rooms, classrooms, and other facilities for meetings and special events
· Notify supervisor of need for supplies and materials
· Attend appropriate training sessions as required
· May make minor repairs to buildings, equipment, furniture, plumbing and small appliances
· May water specified lawn or landscaped areas without automatic controls; check and clean gutters and downspouts
· May assist maintenance or groundskeeping staff during off season or vacation periods
· Perform related duties and responsibilities as required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The knowledge and skill requirements are representative of essential duties. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position. All individuals must pass a pre-employment physical examination and pass fingerprint screening.
Training and Experience: Any combination of experience and training equivalent to the completion of high school graduation with some experience as a custodian preferred.
Knowledge of: Cleaning methods, chemicals, materials, tools and equipment; safe use and operation of equipment and chemicals used in janitorial and custodial work; safe working methods and procedures; care and maintenance of custodial and building equipment and tools.
Ability to: Safely and effectively use cleaning equipment and materials, including ability to operate equipment such as vacuums, floor scrubbing and polishing machines; work safely and effectively around children; understand and follow oral and written instructions; exercise good judgment in the performance of assigned duties; organize and prioritize workload; establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of duties.
Physical Requirements: Vision sufficient to read notes from staff, work schedules, and labels on cleaning products; hearing sufficient to hear normal conversation and sounds from machines and equipment; speech sufficient to speak in an understandable voice; stamina sufficient to perform heavy physical labor, to stand or walk for lengthy periods of time; mobility sufficient to reach, bend, stoop, climb ladders, and crawl into small spaces; manual dexterity sufficient to operate various hand and power tools; physical strength sufficient to lift and carry objects and equipment up to 50 lbs and move up to 100 lbs using a dolly or handtruck.