Job Description / Essential Elements:
BANNING UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
MIDDLE SCHOOL SCIENCE TEACHER
Brief Description of Position
As part of a middle school teaching assignment, teaches one or more classes of science to students in grades 7 - 8 and assists in other school programs as assigned.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Teaches skills, knowledge, and scientific attitudes through courses in general science to middle school students, utilizing course of study adopted by the Board of Education and other appropriate learning activities. May conduct developmental or pilot science programs officially approved by the district.
2. Instructs students in citizenship, basic communication skills, and other general elements of the course of study common to all teachers as specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
3. Plans science instructional program involving laboratory activities and procedures for optimum learning.
4. Demonstrates scientific concepts by use of scientific apparatus, experiments, and standard of teacher-prepared charts, sketches, and other instructional aids.
5. Provides individual or small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of students and to accommodate circumstances where a variety of projects and experiments are being worked on simultaneously.
6. Instructs students in proper use, care, and safe handling of science equipment.
7. Provides for safe storage and proper use of materials, equipment, and tools to prevent loss or abuse. Makes minor adjustments and requests repairs to equipment as required.
8. Establishes and maintains, with the cooperation of the school administration, standards of student behavior needed to promote a productive learning environment during regular class and laboratory sessions.
9. Evaluates each student's growth in knowledge, skills, and scientific attitudes in courses being taught and prepares progress reports.
10. Selects and requests books, instructional aids, science equipment, chemicals, glassware, and supplies and maintains inventory records as required.
11. Maintains professional competence through participation in inservice education activities provided by the district and/or self-selected professional growth activities.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
2. Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs within the school of assignment and/or on a district level.
3. Communicates with parents and school counselors on the individual student's progress.
4. Supervises students in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day.
5. Performs basic attendance accounting and business services as required.
6. Shares in the sponsorship of student activities and participates in faculty committees.
7. May plan and coordinate the work of teacher aides or student teachers.
8. Performs other concomitant duties as may be reasonably assigned.
Supervision Exercised or Received:
Under the immediate supervision of the school principal.
1. Credential: Appropriate California Credential for Middle School Science. EL authorization.
2. Education: Bachelor’s degree with science major or minor and all courses needed to meet subject matter requirements.
3. Personal Qualities: Appearance, grooming and personality which establish a desirable example for students. Ability to meet district standards for physical and mental health. Better than average recommendations from student teaching supervisors or other professionals who have observed the personal characteristics, scholastic attainment, and classroom performance of the teacher.