Job Description / Essential Elements:
FREMONT UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
CLASS TITLE: FOOD SERVICES COOK/BAKER Range 49 183 Duty Days
Under the direction of the Food Services Supervisor, prepare, cook, bake and serve a variety of foods in quantity at an assigned; assist in other food preparation duties as directed; maintain facilities in a clean and sanitary condition.
· Prepare and bake rolls, biscuits, breads, cakes, cookies and other baked goods; prepare and combine necessary ingredients.
· Prepare and cook meat dishes, vegetables and other main dishes; prepare salads, sandwiches, fruit, soups, sauces and other foods; assist with storing and using leftover food items.
· Assist in determining appropriate quantity of food items for cooking and baking; adjust and extend recipes as needed.
· Monitor temperatures of food to assure safety and quality standards are met; monitor water temperatures to assure proper temperature for sanitizing.
· Set up serving areas; serve food to students, teachers and other personnel.
· Maintain work area and serving areas in a sanitary manner; clean serving counters, fryers, food containers and other equipment; wash pots and pans, utensils and other serving equipment.
· Operate a variety of standard kitchen equipment including slicer, chopper, mixer, steamer, fryer, dishwasher, electric warmer, range, oven, chef knives and dishwasher.
· Record amounts of food sold and monies collected as assigned; assist with inventory and maintain routine records as directed.
· Prepare and bake food for special events as needed.
· Perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Principles and methods of quantity food service preparation, serving and storage.
Sanitation and safety practices related to cooking, baking and serving food.
Methods of preparing and serving food in large quantities.
Methods of adjusting and extending recipes and proper substitutions.
Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
Standard kitchen equipment, utensils and measurements.
Health and safety regulations.
Basic record-keeping techniques.
FOOD SERVICES COOK/BAKER PAGE TWO
Prepare, cook, bake and serve a variety of foods in quantity at an assigned food service facility.
Maintain routine records.
Operate standard machines and equipment found in school cafeterias and kitchens.
Prepare attractive, appetizing and nutritious meals for students and staff.
Lift, bend, reach and stand.
Follow, adjust and extend recipes.
Understand and follow oral and written directions.
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Lift objects weighing up to 35 pounds.
Meet schedules and time lines.
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Plan and organize work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A high school diploma or its equivalent supplemented by two years increasingly responsible experience in cooking and baking food in large quantities.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Fingerprint clearance from the Department of Justice.
School cafeteria environment; subject to heat from ovens, lifting, pulling, pushing and standing for long periods of time.