Job Description / Essential Elements:
SAN GABRIEL UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
TITLE: FOOD SERVICE ASSISTANT I
QUALIFICATIONS: 1. High school graduation or equivalent. Individuals possessing the knowledge and abilities listed below are considered to possess the necessary education and experience.
2. If driving a District vehicle is required, operator must have possession of a valid and appropriate California Driver's License and an acceptable driving record, and qualify for insurability by the District's insurance carrier.
3. Knowledge of general application, preparation, and serving of foods.
4. Knowledge of basic kitchen utensils and equipment.
5. Knowledge of safe and sanitary procedures and practices relating to food services, kitchens, and materials.
6. Ability to lift up to 23 lbs.
7. Ability to learn to use weights and measuring devices.
8. Ability to read, write, and comprehend the English language at a level sufficient to perform assigned duties.
9. Ability to be flexible to changing work patterns and schedules.
10. Ability to keep simple records.
11. Ability to perform simple arithmetical calculations.
12. Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
13. Ability to learn to perform routine cooking and baking duties.
14. Ability to learn to operate common kitchen equipment, exhibit manual dexterity.
15. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with those contacted in the course of work.
16. Ability to perform the duties in a safe and efficient manner.
REPORTS TO AND
EVALUATED BY: Director of Food Services
JOB GOAL: Under supervision, to assist in the quantity preparation and serving of foods in a school cafeteria; maintain food service facilities and equipment in a clean and sanitary condition; and to do other related work as may be required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Mix, chop, slice, wash and assemble food and food ingredients.
2. Make up serving trays and count, measure, package and wrap food into serving portions.
3. Prepare jellos, toppings, salads, salad dressings, desserts, and may assist in the preparation of main dish and other cooking and baking duties.
4. Set-up, disassemble, clean and operate dishwashers, stoves, ovens, mixers, slicers, graters, steam tables, and other serving equipment.
5. Assist on student and staff serving lines, set-out prepared food, dispense foods in proper proportions, keep food, milk or tray counts.
6. May issue and collect lunch tickets, keep simple records, routine forms and reports.
7. May take cash for lunches, operate a cash register and count daily receipts.
8. Store food, assist in rotating stock in storage areas, assist with receiving orders and store, assist with inventories.
9. Restock condiments, food items and paper goods before, during and between servings.
10. May assist loading and unloading transport vehicles.
11. May supervise student workers.
12. Observe safe and sanitary procedures and practices.
13. Supervise students in cafetorium, clean cafetorium tables.
This list of essential functions and responsibilities is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary and work year to be established by the Board
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Classified Personnel.