Job Description / Essential Elements:
Under the supervision of teacher or administrator, supervises students in study center, learning center or classroom and provides a variety of clerical and typing work for instructional departments and/or the school office.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Work with students in various settings, including one on one literacy instruction, small groups, and in an online digital environment, to reinforce learning of material and skills initially introduced by the teacher.
2. Check and record student attendance.
3. Help Adult Learners and concurrently enrolled high school students with, among other things, literacy, numeracy, and study problems as requested by certificated staff.
4. Order supplies, maintain equipment inventory, and process incoming study materials.
5. Collect data on students’ learning and attendance for reports, including monitoring and updating student’ learning plans and contracts.
6. Compose and produce simple letters, memoranda, bulletins, reports or other materials.
7. Assist with career materials and administer literacy, numeracy, second language and workplace readiness placement tests and other classroom tests as requested by a teacher.
8. Correct student work and maintain student learning portfolios, in both hard copy and digital formats.
9. Assist students in math, reading, and writing utilizing computer software programs, and monitor, correct and report on student online work.
10. Organize, maintain, identify and check out appropriate instructional materials to students in individualized learning and distance learning environments.
11. Enter data in the AIM adult education student information system and pull student information from the system as directed by the teacher.
12. Orient new students to the adult learning environment and the function of the adult individualized learning center.
13. Organize learning materials of both the adult individualized learning environment (ABE and ASE) and the distance learning materials of both ASE and ESL.
14. Provide assistance to new students by informing them about school policies that affect them, and working with students to structure online options to supplement or replace in class activities.
15. Perform other duties / skills related to the job description as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Must be able to pass high school proficiency test (math, reading and writing). Two years college (48 semester units) desired.
3. Experience working with adult learners preferred. An awareness of successful adult learning practices.
4. Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions.
5. Ability to type and operate basic office equipment. Ability to use and operate a computer, including familiarity with the Internet, Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.
6. Ability to work with students in various settings to reinforce learning of material and skills initially introduced by the teacher.
7. Ability to perform clerical duties such as filing, duplicating, maintaining routine records, operate basic office equipment, and utilize basic computer skills.
PHYSCIAL EFFORT/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Classroom and office environment.