Under general supervision, supervises and/or coordinates specialized accounting and payroll functions in the maintenance of fiscal, financial and a variety of statistical records; to assist in financial and confidential matters as relate to salary negotiations; prepares cash flow projections; assumes responsibility for auditing and preparing financial reports for Federal/State projects, special education, and State School Building Funds; assists in budget preparation, expenditure approval; may be responsible for position control, computer assisted accounting systems; follows oral and written instructions; and performs other related duties as required.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS):
- Supervises or performs responsible tasks related to the preparation and management of accounting records and reports, i.e., revenue, attendance, transportation, ASB, cafeteria, accounts payable, Federal, County and State funded programs, classified and certificated payroll and general accounting, reconciliation of monthly financial statements.
- Assists in preparation of the annual budget, estimated actuals, monthly, interim, and annual financial reports.
- Trains staff and evaluates employee performance; assign and review work; participate on interview panel as requested.
- Assumes responsibility for department in absence of department director; and performs other related work as required.
- Assists in the revision, formulation and implementation of computerized record keeping systems and procedures.
- Supervises Fiscal Services department personnel and maintains confidential records and assists in compiling and preparing statistical information as related to salary negotiations and other related matters
- Maintains accounting records of the State School Building Fund, including encumbrances, invoices, warrants, current liabilities, cash transfers, abatements, budget transfers and related transactions and balances monthly reports.
- Applies for cash advances and reimbursements of Federal/State projects and assists in compiling and preparing annual financial reports.
- Audits purchase requisitions as to correctness of account codes, availability of funds, authorized signature and completeness.
- Performs and/or audits a wide variety of statistical data and reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Oversees the implementation of the collective bargaining agreements for certificated and classified employees as they relate to personnel supervised.
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field, or
- Two years of accounting experience in a business setting, and two years experience in governmental or school district accounting.
- Two years experience in supervising staff.
Possession of a valid and appropriate California driver’s license. Insurability by District liability insurance carrier may be required. May be required to provide own transportation to sites during workday.
- Complex accounting procedures, financial and general office policies and procedures; methods, practices and terminology used in financial and statistical record-keeping.
- Skill in the use of standard office equipment (telephone, computer, typewriter, fax, printer, calculator, etc.).
- Familiarity with standard purchasing, pupil attendance, cash records and payroll procedures, and with school district financial records and procedures.
- Make arithmetic calculations and check written and statistical records quickly and accurately.
- Work independently.
- Post, total and balance accurately and rapidly.
- Deal effectively with administrators, school personnel and other offices.
- Prepare bulletins and memorandums as related to business office activities.
- Compile and organize statistical data.
- Follow oral and written directions.
Incorporated within one or more of the previously mentioned performance responsibilities, which are essential functions of this job description, are the following essential physical requirements:
- Ability to work at a desk and in meetings of various configurations.
- Ability to read printed matter and computer screens.
- Ability to communicate so others will be able to clearly understand a normal conversation.
- Ability to understand speech at normal levels.