Job Description / Essential Elements:
CENTRAL UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
Classified Job Description
MAINTENANCE / CUSTODIAN
Under general supervision, performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks independently and may assist skilled maintenance personnel in the maintenance and repair of structures, related physical facilities, and equipment; and to keep assigned rooms, buildings, and office space clean and orderly.
Performs semi-skilled and skilled tasks and may assist skilled workers on work projects concerned with their specialties; performs general repair and maintenance work on structures, related physical facilities, and equipment; makes routine emergency repairs and adjustments to school buildings and facilities; repairs doors and windows and makes simple installation of hardware; installs shelving and bulletin boards; makes repairs to desks, chairs and other furniture and equipment; removes and replaces faucets and fixtures, and replaces washers and gaskets; assists in making repairs on heating and ventilating systems; assists in installing and repairing electrical systems, installs electrical wall and floor outlets and switches where needed; performs maintenance painting as necessary; patches and prepares surfaces for painting; paints cabinets and shelving; lays out and stripes new parking spaces; picks up and delivers equipment and supplies. Sweeps, scrubs, mops, waxes, and oils floors; vacuums rugs and carpets; dusts and polishes furniture and woodwork; empties and cleans waste receptacles; cleans restrooms; washes blackboards, windows, and walls; polishes metal work; takes care of equipment, setting up buildings and rooms for dances, parties, meetings, and special events; reports safety, sanitary and fire hazards; makes minor repairs, replacing lights, adjusting shades or blinds, and adjusting desks and other furniture; cleans venetian blinds, scrapes and refinishes floors; picks up paper on grounds and courts of buildings; unlocks and locks doors to buildings; raises and lowers flag; may drive truck in delivering or picking up supplies and equipment; may act as security guard on designated shifts.
Common methods, materials, and equipment used in the carpentry, painting, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical trades; cleaning supplies, materials, methods and practices. Must be neat and orderly and have good personal habits.
Use, operate, and care for power and hand tools related to the building and mechanical trades; follow oral and written instructions; work cooperatively with others; work independently; perform heavy physical labor; work cooperatively with teachers and the public, and get along with high school students.
One year of experience in general construction and building maintenance work and a familiarity with custodial and cleaning methods and equipment.
CENTRAL UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
Classified Job Description – Maintenance/Custodian
Any combination equivalent to completion of the tenth grade.
• Meet minimum physical requirements as prescribed by the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
• Visual capability to read handwritten or typed documents and the display screen of various office machines and equipment.
• Able to conduct verbal communications and conversations.
• Ability to hear normal range of verbal conversations (approx. 60 decibels).
• Able to sit, stand, stoop, kneel, bend, and walk for extended periods.
• Able to exhibit full range of motion for shoulder internal and external rotation.
• Able to exhibit full range of motion for shoulder abduction and adduction.
• Able to exhibit full range of motion for shoulder extension and flexion.
• Able to exhibit full range of motion for back lateral flexion.
• Able to exhibit full range of motion for elbow flexion and extension.
• Able to exhibit full range of motion for hip flexion and extension.
• Able to climb slopes, stairs, steps, and ladders.
• Able to exhibit full range of motion for knee flexion and extension.
• Able to lift up to 30 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
• Able to lift up to 50 pounds frequently and up to 100 pounds occasionally.
• Able to push and pull a variety of equipment weighing up to 150 pounds.
• Able to sustain strenuous manual labor for up to eight hours.
• Able to demonstrate manual dexterity necessary to perform fine maintenance procedures, and operate both manual and power hand tools in a safe and effective manner.
• Able to operate a vehicle in a safe and effective manner.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, BONDING, AND/OR TESTING REQUIRED:
Valid California Operator Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance